Chapter 46 - Lay Your Head Down

Woah, a new chapter already????

Yup :)

I was checking up on the comments from the last chapter and dang, no forgiveness for Hunter.

Spoiler: There may be another Hunter point of view in this chapter so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regardless, we're almost nearing 200K reads, so thank you for continuing to stick around :) I know my upload schedule was really bad at times but I'm glad that you guys could pull through it XD

I'm going to try to finish this story before the end of this year (at the latest). My original plan was to finish it by the end of the summer, and that may still happen if I can go on a roll and finish this in two weeks. If not, you can still expect frequent uploads until these two weeks are up and I have to go back to school.

Anyway, enjoy this chapter; vote, comment and share, and I'll see you at the end.

Song - Alex & Sierra, Little Do You Know

~Jessica

"That was when the world wasn't so big and I could see everywhere. It was when my father was a hero and not a human."

-Markus Zusak

**************

+Payton's POV+

A few days passed by, and it seemed as though we'd gotten into a routine of things.

Every morning, Gideon would bring in breakfast before Adam would come in and try to talk to me.

I could tell that Adam was trying to be more nice and work on his anger. He really did try to keep my off of things, and tried to get me to forget that he pretty much kidnapped me.

His usual conversation starters were about his plans for the future, and where he wanted to take me for birthdays, anniversaries, Christmases, and every holiday you could think of.

On some of his good days, I actually really did somewhat forget about what Adam had done to me in the past. I forgot about the beatings I took and how bad it was, but it never lasted and I'd feel horrible knowing that I was able to forget about it for even a second.

Adam knew my fears, and he used them on me to keep in in line.

New bruises and scars began to appear on my skin, and my old fears began crawling back.

It felt exactly like when I used to lived with him and quite frankly, I wasn't fazed by it anymore.

I was scared of something new as well this time though; I was scared of myself.

How could I let him beat and verbally abuse me without even trying to fight back anymore? Was I letting him slowly kill me? Had I really lost all willpower to fight?

Yes, yes I had.

Everything was numb.

I gave up on trying to figure out why Adam was the way he was; I came to accept it. The sooner I did that, the better it was for me.

I knew that Adam liked it when I was more submissive, so that's exactly what I did. I became a robot for him, someone who did whatever he wanted.

Tonight, Adam came into my room for the first time. He never did that, I would always be locked in by myself for the night.

He laid down beside me, and sent me a small smile, "Mind if I stay?"

I said nothing, and just moved a bit more to one side to make more room. I wasn't going to be put through another one of his angry rampages again just for not moving over.