Chapter 17 - New Goal: Make Her Mine

Hey guys! Welcome back to another chapter :) first off, I'd like to apologize for not updating last week, school started and all I really wanted to do was to sleep when I got home. I've been slowly working on this chapter for the past two weeks and although it's kinda short, I didn't really want to add anything else to it. Secondly, I'd like to THANK YOU for over 1.65K reads! I've been off Wattpad for about a week and came back with such a nice surprise after a tiring week at school :) <3 Anyways, I do hope that you enjoy this chapter, I'm already starting the next one so chapter 20 will be out on time... (I hope) And as always. like, comment and share and as always, I'll see you later ;)

Song- Otep, Perfectly Flawed

~Jessica

"You say you love rain, but you use an umbrella to walk under it. You say you love sun, but you seek shade when it is shining. You say you love wind, but when it comes you close your window. So that's why I'm scared when you say you love me."

-Bob Marley

*****************

+Hunter's POV+

I don't know why I did what I did but it felt right.

It felt right carrying Payton in my arms as I ran around the building; I never wanted to let her go.

It felt right kissing her; especially when I knew that she liked it too.

It felt right giving her the necklace; although she didn't know why I gave it to her or the story behind it, I knew, and that was good enough.

I think the reason why I didn't tell her about how much that necklace meant to me was because I feared her not accepting it. I feared that if I told her the truth, I'd lose the only chance I had with her. So I gave her the necklace, lying about where I got it from because it was better than rejection. I didn't know if I'd ever tell her how much that necklace meant to me or if she'd ever really learn the importance of it, but seeing the necklace on her everyday and knowing that she chose not to take it off meant something to me.

Sound's kind of pathetic, doesn't it?

I Hunter Blackthorne, CEO of the most successful company who never needed any woman in his life was crushing on one particular lady. And that particular lady was my PA.

You could say that I was chasing after her, chasing after the PA; my PA.

Sure, I've had other PA's in the past and yes, I've been involved with many of them but not quite like Payton.

I could have easily gone behind her back and saw other women but I didn't, even though the contract never said that I needed to be faithful.

For the first time in my life, I had something that I respected with my entire heart and soul.

It didn't matter that she wasn't a model, she was better than one. Yes, models have beautiful bodies but Payton had even more than that, she had a beautiful mind, heart and personality as well. She was the first ever person to actually look past my looks and public status.

I admit, I wasn't perfect, I was far from it. Yes, I did come from a rich family and yes, I was successful and yes, I'm portrayed as an arrogant, conceited person but I just see it as a way of protecting myself. If I sat down and told you about how many gold-diggers I've encountered throughout the years, I'd be sitting for a while.

But from my past experiences, I could conclude that Payton was not at all like them.

Never in a million years would I think that I was going to meet someone who would change my life for the better.

I don't believe in love, it just seems like a horrible thing. It makes you vulnerable, it opens up your heart and allows people to mess you up. You spend years and years building walls around yourself so that nothing can hurt you and then comes along one person, someone who breaks all your defenses down and gets close. Suddenly, your life isn't just your life anymore, it becomes yours and someone else's even if they didn't ask for any of it.

I must have gotten the concept of love completely wrong.

I didn't feel as though she was attacking my defenses, she was just kind of building a back door to it; somewhere that she could come and go as she pleased.

Was she really becoming a part of my life?

Payton wasn't perfect, she didn't have the best past but maybe I could give her a better future.

As much as I wished for this relationship to be real, I would respect her opinions and if she wanted this to be all over in a year then as much as it would hurt me, I'd stay true to my word and we'd have a professional relationship once again.

But for now, as long as I had her, I'd treat her the way she should have been treated. I'll make sure that she would experience the joys of what a real, happy relationship could bring her, maybe even teach her how to love again even if at the end of the day, it wouldn't be me.

Payton has been strong on her own for too long and it wasn't that she just couldn't be broken, it was the complete opposite actually. Payton was millimetres away from breaking down but that wasn't what she feared, she feared that there wouldn't be anyone there to glue her back together; she had been shattered too many times in her life that she was scared that maybe the next time she broke down, there'd be too many unfixable pieces.

As we sat in the closet, our lips connected, I had one goal set in mind: to make Payton mine before the end of the year.

+Payton's POV+

Hunter and I sat in silence for a few moments.

His gaze slightly changed as he noticed that I was slowly beginning to get up.

What was I even thinking?! I shouldn't have kissed him, this is what he does to everybody! He makes them think that their the only one for them then after he gets what he wants BAM! You're out.

As much as I wanted to believe the things he said, I couldn't, not after Adam.

It's funny how even though you own your own life, someone could easily walk into it one day and ruin it. I let Adam in and look at what the consequences were. I wasn't saying that Hunter would do the same but they did have one thing in common, they were both capable of hurting me but I wasn't going to let that happen anymore thanks to Adam.

After everything he had put me through, I could still thank him for one thing; for helping me learn that I had to be cautious as to who I opened my heart up to. I learned that I couldn't depend on anyone in the world, even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness.

Although I did start growing feelings for Hunter, I had to protect my self first and if that meant keeping my distance from him, I'd do that.

Don't set yourself on fire just so others can keep warm.

As I left the closet, Hunter quickly got up as well and chased after me while calling my name. I didn't turn around and continued to head towards the elevators.

Okay, so that was the end of this chapter and before you start screaming at the screen, telling me that its a really short chapter...

Just CHILL.

A new chapter will be coming out sometime next week and if it doesn't then you can come and start attacking me in the comment section XD

Anyways, until next time... <3