Chapter 32 - Breakups And British Devils

Hello people! Here is a new chapter as promised! Thank you guys for over 5K votes! <3 I'm glad that you guys are all enjoying this story- that's basically all I have to say.

So, as always, enjoy, vote and comment and I'll see you guys at the end of this chapter! :)

Please ignore any typos.

Song- Gnash ft. Mark Johns, Rumours

~Jessica

"All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed."

― Seán O'Casey

***************************

"Are you sure you don't need me to come with you this time?" I sat on the edge of Hunter's bed, watching him pack a suitcase.

"It's only a week's business trip, I think I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm one hundred percent sure Payton. Anyways, I need you to be here to watch the office," Hunter said walking back into his closet to grab another suit.

"I don't know how to take care of a business," I said.

"I'm sure you'll do fine, anyways, my dad is also going to be helping."

"Speaking about your dad... Why don't you ever really talk about your parents?"

Hunter sighed as he zipped up his suitcase, "We're just not really close."

"There's has to be a reason for that," I probed. "You seem to really dislike your mom."

"I don't hate her," Hunter said. "We just don't agree on a lot of things and we just never really took the time to work those things out."

"Well, why don't you then?"

"I don't know," He shrugged. "I mean, both my parents didn't have a lot of time for Erica and I when we were younger but my dad at least made the effort to acknowledge our presence and be somewhat of a decent parent. My mother on the other hand... She was so consumed in her work that sometimes, I forgot that she was even my mother. She spent most of my childhood on business trips or working in her office and if she wasn't doing that, then she'd be sleeping. When she finally started to talk to me, it was as though we were just acquaintances."

"Why don't you try to fix that?"

"There are some things that I'd rather not try to change," He frowned. "Erica's tried, I've tried, but it always ends the same way. She doesn't put in the effort to reconnect with us."

"Don't you sometimes wish that you had a mom who was there?"

"Of course I do! I wish that all the time. I wish I could have went home to the smell of some kind of new creation coming from the kitchen. I wish I had a mom who brought me to the park, who threw me birthday parties, who woke me up on Christmas day and watched as I opened all my presents, but I didn't have that, and I can't do anything to change it," Hunter frowned. "I don't know a lot about her. I don't even know my own mother, and it scares me thinking that my personality resembles hers so much."

He sat down beside me. "Before I met you, I was so caught up in my own little world that my reality wasn't even realistic. I still have the same arrogance as my mother, the same vanity but it's because of you that's its getting better."

"You always make me look like the good guy," I sighed. "What you don't realise is that you don't need me to become the person that you want to become."