Chapter 33 - Près Du Coeur

Hello People!

there's been a bit of a delay in writing this chapter but here it is!

As always, thanks for all of your support on this story, remember to continue on voting and commenting and I'll see you guys at the end of this chapter :)

Song- The Chainsmokers & Coldplay, Something Just Like This

~Jessica

"Missing someone, they say, is self-centered.

I self-center you more than ever."

― Saša Stanišić, How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone

************************************************************

I stood there, frozen, awaiting what Malik had to say.

Malik stood there, with his mouth open for a few seconds before he spoke. "They totally got your bad side!"

I had to have a double take on what he said. Amelia glanced over at her husband in disbelief and annoyance, her cheeks flushing red as her anger increased.

"Wh-what?" I stuttered.

Malik suddenly burst out in laughter, "Honey, I know who he is, no need to worry. The media always blows things out of proportion, especially on the topic of relationships."

I felt a surge of relief blow through me as I relaxed a bit.

Amelia fumed and she narrowed her eyes at Malik and I, "You think this is a joke?!"

"Quite frankly, yes," Malik sobered up. "Sweetie, sometimes you're just a bit too gullible," he poked her nose and she swatted his hand away.

She scowled at him, "I don't want my son with someone who doesn't even respect themselves."

"Who said that she didn't respect herself?" Malik asked gesturing toward me. "When I see her, I see a beautiful young lady who works hard and loves harder." He smiled at me and I gave him a shy smile back. "I see someone who our son has chosen and I'd say that he made a great decision. You have to put in some more trust in our son, he wouldn't have liked her if she didn't respect herself. It's a man's job to respect a woman but it is a woman's job to give him something to respect."

Amelia noticed the small, humbled smile on my face as Malik finished speaking and she frowned in pique. "Oh, don't act all coy, I know girls like you."

"Amelia, I think it's time that you go. It's pretty busy here and we've got a lot to do before the end of the day." Malik placed a quick peck on Amelia's forehead then placed his hands on her shoulders and started to head towards the door. "I'll see you when I get home, honey."

Amelia didn't argue but kept her glare on me. Malik quickly closed the door then let out a sigh of relief. "Oh, Payton. I'm so sorry about my wife."

I nodded, "It's alright. I can see where she's coming from. Parents always want the best for their children, and sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind."

"I appreciate your niceness but my wife was definitely way out of line. Bursting into the office and hounding you with false accusations; I'm sorry."

I smiled sympathetically, "Really, it's quite alright."

"Alright," he answered skeptically. "Hey, how about you take the rest of the day off? It's almost the end of the day anyways, I'll wrap things up here."

"Are you sure?" I questioned. Although I was tired out of my mind, I wanted to stay and make sure that Malik wasn't going to have any second thoughts about what Amelia showed him in that damn magazine. The last thing I needed was for my "boyfriend's" parents to hate me.