Lunch With The Boss

I woke up completely confused as to why I was so energized. I guess it's the adrenaline for my first day. I took a shower, did my makeup and wore what I set out for yesterday. Breakfast is a definite, some oatmeal will have to do.

While driving up to the horribly magnificent office I went towards the underground parking garage. I wonder if they will let me in? When I pulled into the structure I was given directions to where my personal parking space was located. Lovely. I might just start liking this place.

After the elevator ride to Mr. Carter's office I was relieved. I walked out and saw no one here yet. Weird. I went towards Mr. Carter's office and there was a note on his door.

Averey, next door to this office is your personal office. Come back to my office at 8:30 ready to start. Get settled in first.
- Mr. C.

I went straight to MY office. I opened the door and automatically fell in love. The floor was black wood, my desk was sleek black as well and I secretly liked that there was no view from a glass wall. I hate heights. A girl could get used to this.

As I was admiring my office I noticed there was a white box on my desk. I opened it and found a brand new sleek Apple laptop. Very nice. A note on top said:

I need you to have this on you when you are not at the office. Though you might be away you are never away.

Alright chief. Next to the laptop box there was another box but this one was smaller. I opened it and realized it was a brand new IPhone 6+. Excuse me I have a phone I don't need this one. Yeah my Android might be cracked from the screen but it has never gave up on me.

Since you deliberately ignored my texts last night, I decided to get you something newer which will capture your attention more easier. It won't be forgotten so easily. I need to have contact with you at all times.

He is true about me not being able to put down this phone so easily. My other phone doesn't have everything this phone has. Shoot it's 8:27! I need to get to his office.

By the time I got in his office and sat down in front of his desk waiting for directions he walked in.

Ughh he looked even gorgeous from the back, I noticed as he walked past me. Instead of going to his chair he went to the front of desk and leaned against it. He was very close to me. Our legs were practically touching. I looked up to his face and I seen the annoyance in his eyes. Uh oh.

"Averey I expect you from now on to answer text messages and emails and calls when I'm around you and not around you," he said in a demanding tone. "You need to learn to have some sort of ringtone when you get a text, call or email. I'm I clear?"

"Yes Sir."

"I was very upset last night when I figured you were ignoring my texts."

"I promise it won't happen again Sir."

"Good. I'm glad we are on the same page. I need you to call these numbers and have meetings arranged with all of them. Somehow some way they need to be done." Jesus this was a whole packet full of phone numbers. This will take me all week not all day. He's nuts.

As he handed me the packet. I stood up immediately and he did the same as well. He put his hands on my shoulders so we wouldn't crash into one another. That didn't help since I felt my chest and his chest touching. My heart stopped when we were touching at looked at one another. Jesus he is as hard as a rock. He obviously works out. He looked down at me and I looked up at him. We gazed into each other's eyes forgetting about the rest of the world.

"Averey you have the most beautiful eyes with the longest eyelashes I've ever seen." I was at a mute. He leaned in closer our lips were an inch away from touching. Just kiss me already!

After what felt like an eternity he said, "I think you should get started on those calls Ms. Adams." He sort of pushed me aside as he went to his desk to sit down. I left his office without a word. What just happened? I sat down at my desk with my head in my hands. Averey you can't start falling for your boss. As I got myself together I started. Who knows when I'll be finished.

My desk phone started ringing.

"Hello."

"I need you to accompany me to a business dinner tonight."

"Umm...sure...okay."

"Is there something wrong?" No no just I have nothing to wear! What dress do I have that looks expensive enough for this dinner. I know there's going to be rich people everywhere.

"No. What time?"

"I will send you the address and I'll have you meet me there. I'll have my personal designer pick something out for you. It will be delivered to you tonight. Thank god he was giving me something to wear! But why couldn't he just pick me up? This is a favor for him not me.

"Sounds good."

"Good," he hung up. Rude.

I don't know what I will do with him all night we hardly know one another. And after that weird altercation earlier, who knows what will happen tonight. I need to get my mind off tonight and on these calls.

All these numbers and calls were giving me a headache. I need to eat. I walked to Mr. Carter's office.

"Sir may I have my lunch break now?"

"Of course. What would you like to eat. I'm hungry too. I'll have something delivered here."

"No I was just going to..."

"Don't want to have lunch with your boss?"

"Umm."

"Just sit. Let me order lunch. I'm feeling like Italian. Is that fine with you?"

"Sounds good." I awkwardly sat down in front of his desk.

Can this get anymore awkward. While waiting while he cleared papers and other materials off his desk I started to get nervous.

"So Averey tell me about yourself," he said in a serious tone.

"Uh...okay...sure...though there is probably nothing new to know about me since I think I explained myself well in my resume. I'll fill you in on stuff that didn't appear on my resume." Even though I didn't want to. Why should I let this stranger know about my life. I'll just give the basics. "I'm an only child. My parents are both dead. I'm twenty-three. My favorite color is red. Oh and I love roses. Is that enough?"

He gave that 'really' look with a hint of disappointment. What can't a girl be private?

"Well that was brief."

"I'm a very private person Mr. Carter."

All I got in response was him staring at me. I started to squirm under his intense gaze just as the lunch had arrived. Thank God! The delivery man brought containers full of Italian food that smelled so good! Mr. Carter started setting up the containers and put a plate full of food in front of me. It was a mountain full of food. I can't possibly eat all this.

"Sir I can't possibly eat all this."

"Just eat what you can."

"Thank you for uh serving me. I appreciate it." He smiled at me. Wow that's probably the first time he has ever smiled. It was rare but when it happened it was marvelous.

It was very quite while we were eating. So I decided to make conversation.

"So what is this event we are going to tonight?"

"Just your typical business charity event. Rich people flashing their money, making business deals." Not typical to me.

"Okay," I said nervously.

"Don't be nervous even though it will be noticeable that you don't belong whatsoever." DID HE JUST SAY THAT!

"What do you mean 'don't belong whatsoever'?! Just because I'm not one of those typical model rich girls?! Because I live like a normal human being who actually enjoys life unlike you rich people!" I said practically spitting the words out. "I can't believe you had the audacity to disrespect me like that." Before he could say anything I picked up my plate and threw it away on my way out. I can't believe he just told me that.