2. Crush

*Avery's POV*

After school let out, I first went to my locker to get the key to my bike chain and headed outside. I put the key into the lock and once I got it off, I put it into my bag and started home. I really wish I had a car, but then again, this is the only exercise I get.

It's not too long of a bike ride and when I arrive, I head inside to see my father already home. The rest of my day is going to be hell.

"About damn time you got here, you need to start on dinner." He said.

"But it's still early and I'd like to start on my homework," I said.

"What did I say? Go start on dinner." He looked back at the television.

I knew better than to object, so I did as I was told and went into the kitchen. I take the whole chicken I put in the fridge this morning to thaw out and a roasting pan.

Once I got the chicken in the oven, I grabbed my book bag and went into the dining room to do my homework.

Ever since my mum died of cancer, I've had to take over and do all the things she used to do. I have to do laundry, cooking, cleaning, and anything else my dad tells me. I was only five when she died and I miss her every day.

Being without a mum is the toughest thing ever. I don't have a maternal figure to look up to because she didn't have any sisters and I had to figure so many things out on my own.

"Avery!" My dad shouted.

"Yeah?" I responded.

"Get me a beer." He said.

I should've known, it's always a beer. I got up from the table and went back into the kitchen to get a beer from the fridge. I made sure it was cold enough and brought it to him.

"Here." I sat it on the small table beside his chair and he shooed me away. I went back and did my homework while I made dinner.

After I finished cooking, I made him his plate and took it in the living room. I quickly got out of his way and went to eat my dinner and clean. Once I finished that, I went up to my room to finish my work.

I don't know which is worse, being here or being at school. At school, I'm pushed around and disrespected and here, I'm tossed around and ridiculed for the smallest things. I have no one to turn to, well, except for my best friend, Dylan. He only knows what I go through at school, I could never bring myself to tell him every single painful thing I go through.

After I completed all of my homework, I put my things away and prepared for bed.

-

The next morning I woke up early to fix my dad breakfast. If he goes to work on an empty stomach, it's not pretty for me.

I went into the kitchen and made him his usual bacon, eggs, and toast with strawberry jam. I took the plate upstairs and knocked on his door.

He opened it, making it pretty obvious that he just woke up and that he hasn't brushed his teeth. His breath still smelled like the beers from yesterday.

He took the plate and slammed the door in my face. I went to the bathroom to shower and get ready for school.

Once I was dressed and ready to go, I grabbed my bag and thrust my arms through the straps. I then jogged downstairs and out the door, going over to my bike and mounting it. I rode down the driveway and made my way to school.

I hopped off my bike, chained it up, and walked inside. I went to my locker where Dylan was waiting for me.

"Good morning!" He smiled. He's always so cheery. "I got you some coffee because I know how you don't eat breakfast." He handed me the steaming hot liquid.