45. In Denial

*Luke's POV*

As I drove home, I couldn't help but be upset over the fact that Avery wouldn't listen to me. I finally work up the courage to tell her the truth about him and she thinks I'm lying. But if he does break her heart and I never told her, I'd be the bad guy. I tried to give her a clue as to what will happen to her in the near future and she just threw it away. What is it with girls being so in denial? If someone shows you who they really are, you should believe them. Ashton has shown his true self a few times already yet she doesn't think that's the real him.

I'm too in love with her to watch as she makes what is probably the biggest mistake of her life. I don't know any other way to get her to listen to me.

I could tell her my true feelings but I'm afraid of rejection. She said she's in love with someone and it's gotta be Ashton because why else would she forgive him so quickly and choose to ignore how he really is? She's blinded by her love for him and I can't do anything about that.

It's just that I love her so much that it hurts and I can't do anything about it. I'm supposed to love Brooke but it's getting hard to pretend to. She's the one that made me want to be a better person and I feel like I owe her my heart but I can't give it to her 'cause Avery has it even though she doesn't know it.

As hard as I try to forget about her, I just can't let her go. I constantly think about her, do so much for her, and care about her more than anything yet she doesn't even see it. I'm in love with someone who doesn't see me as more than a friend and that's got to be the most painful feeling in the world.

I pulled up to my house and parked in the driveway, getting out and heading inside. I went straight to the kitchen to find a snack and was surprised to see my mum home.

"Hey, mum, you're home early." I said, walking over to the cabinets to find something to eat.

"Hey, Luke, how was school?" She asked, looking up from the vegetables she was cutting to shoot me a smile.

"It was okay." I shrugged. "Just a normal day at school." I grabbed a bag of chips and went to the refrigerator and took out a bottle of juice.

"Normal day, huh?" She put her knife down. "Did you solve your little issue?" She asked.

"Issue?" I asked, sipping my drink.

"Don't act like you don't remember. You were stressing out about giving advice to someone but being afraid it wouldn't have ended well and you couldn't decided between two people."

I was really hoping she wouldn't remember. It was hard for me to talk about the first time and I didn't want it being brought up again.

"Right." I nodded. "I've, uh, got everything under control."

"You don't sound very convincing." She chuckled, leaning against the counter. "What's wrong?"

"It's just..." I shook my head, "I gave them the advice and told them the truth yet they're in denial and won't listen. I was trying to prevent them from getting hurt 'cause I know it'll happen in the end."

"Is there no way you can show them?"

"They've already seen the actions of the person they're with yet they still choose to be with them." I shook my head. "I care about her too much, mum."

"Her?" She grinned. "I'm guessing you're talking about Avery."

My eyes widened, realizing what I just said. I didn't want her to know that much.

"I-I didn't say that." I stuttered. "I didn't mean-"

"It's okay, Luke." She chuckled. "I already had a hunch. So you still care about her, huh?"