40. Detention

*Avery's POV*

After an amazing New Years celebration with Ashton and my friends and a few days of relaxation, it was time to go back to school. Maybe it'll be much better now that it's a new year. I doubt it but it's always good to be optimistic, right?

I got up to get ready for school. I don't know exactly when my dad will be back but I'm sure it'll be any day now so I've got to watch myself. I can't go out every night with Ash 'cause I don't want a repeat of what happened when he found out I was out somewhere with Luke.

Once I was all set, I walked out of my house, prepared to bike to school, when I saw Ashton pulling into my driveway. I walked up to his car and opened the door when he was parked.

"Good morning." I smiled, getting in.

"Hello, beautiful." He said, leaning over the divider to kiss me.

"I wasn't expecting you this morning." I commented as he pulled out and headed down the street.

"Well I'm not a jerk that lets their girlfriend bike to school when I can drive her." He chuckled. It was obvious he was talking about Luke but I laughed anyway. I can't get offended over a guy I'm not supposed to have feelings for.

We got to school and he parked his car, getting out to open the door for me and helping me out. I'm incredibly lucky to be with such a gentlemen.

We walked into the school hand in hand and went to my locker where Dylan was already waiting for me.

"Hey, Dylan." I smiled.

"Morning." He said, hugging me.

"Oh, Ashton, this is my best friend, Dylan and Dylan, you already know Ashton." I introduced the two of them.

"It's nice to meet you." Ashton said, sticking out his hand. Dylan took it and they briefly shook hands. "Mike and Cal are up ahead, mind if I go to them?" He asked me.

"Not at all." I shook my head.

He smiled. "I'll see you later, babe." He kissed my cheek and left us. I turned to put my combination in and Dylan continued to stare at me.

"What?" I asked.

"I haven't seen you smile this much in a while." He chuckled.

I tried to fix my mouth into a line or frown but the corners of my mouth wouldn't go down. "What can I say, I'm happy." I chuckled. "He makes me incredibly happy."

"So I'm guessing you're completely over you-know-who."

"I don't recall ever having a thing for Voldemort." I laughed. "But I think so. I haven't seen him in a few days so I'm not completely sure. It's usually when I lay my eyes on him or talk to him that my breathing goes out of wack and my heart beats like crazy." Or when I'm thinking about him.

I closed my locker after exchanging my notebooks. I looked down the hall and saw Luke and Brooke coming up and all the things I was talking about before were happening. My heart was beating like crazy and my breaths were shorter and faster than before.

"Well judging by your look of longing, you're not over him." Dylan chuckled.

"What?" I turned around to look at him so I wasn't tempted to continue looking down the hall. "I don't have a look of longing."

"You're right, it's desperation."

I rolled my eyes and smacked his arm. "Shut up. Okay so maybe I'm not as over him as I thought but I'm getting there."

"You keep telling yourself that." He laughed.

I thought I was really making progress and not seeing or talking to him really helped. I know at that New Years party I told him we can't hang around each other so much but I miss him. I know I sound like an idiot 'cause it's only been a few days but conversations with him are much more fun than conversations with Ash. Ash is great and all but when it comes to being serious and talking, we don't really connect. I can talk to Luke for hours and not get bored. I don't get bored with Ash but there's something we're missing that I feel between Luke and I.