44. Truth

I walked into school the next day and my first thought was to go see if Avery was here and if she had talked to Ashton yet. If not, then I could intervene and hopefully stop her from making what would be the biggest mistake ever. But I couldn't do that, not without at least seeing Brooke first. I don't want her thinking there's something going on between me and Avery again and being rude to her.

I made my way to her and her group of friends and hugged her from behind, kissing her cheek.

"Hello, beautiful." I said.

"Hey yourself." She giggled.

"We can see you're busy so we'll talk to you later, Brooke." One of her friends said. They walked off and she turned in my arms, putting her arms around my neck and giving me a passionate kiss.

"That was unexpected." I commented as I pulled away.

"I'm just really happy." She smiled. "You and I are on great terms, we're going on that Hawaii trip together, there aren't any threats to our relationship- everything is perfect right now."

"It sure is." I agreed, kissing her nose and causing her to giggle again. "I've got to make some rounds before class so I'll see you later?"

She nodded. "Yeah, I'll see you at lunch." She leaned up to kiss me again and I smiled, releasing her and making my way to Avery's locker.

I rounded the corner onto the hall her locker was on and I couldn't believe the sight before me. Even from my far distance I could see Ashton and Avery hugging each other and then he pulled away to kiss her. I turned the corner, not being able to take the sight much longer. How could she do that? How could she forgive him after what he said to her? I know she doesn't know all that he does but what happened two days ago should've been enough evidence to kick him to the curb.

I remember her hinting at being in love with someone when I was at her house a while ago. I had assumed it was Ashton and my assumption seems to be correct since she forgave him so quickly. Ashton's not a bad guy, he's one of my best friends and I love him, but I know he doesn't do the best by girls and I love Avery too much to sit back and let him ruin her like he's done countless other times. If she still chooses to be with him after I tell her the truth then that's her choice but at least I did my part.

*Avery's POV*

I woke up the next morning and checked the mirror to see how bad my face looked. My eye didn't look too bad, I could cover that with makeup, but my nose was still pretty swollen. I guess I could use makeup to hide the discoloration but I'll have to come up with some bullshit excuse as to why it's swollen.

As I got ready, I had to mentally prepare myself for when I faced Ashton. I hadn't talked to him since the incident and I don't want him to think that I was avoiding him because of it, although I am still pretty pissed about it. I thought it'd be best that we not talk so we could let things cool down a bit but I will address it when I get to school. He needs to know that he really hurt me and to never disrespect me in that way again if he still wants to be together.

I got myself situated before I did stuff for my dad. I went down to the kitchen and made him a quick breakfast, bringing it and the morning paper to his room.

After having the door rudely slammed in my face, I went back to my room to cover up the bruising around my eye and nose. While I was in the middle of covering up my nose, my phone dinged and I glanced at the name that flashed across the screen, smiling. It was a text from Luke and I picked up my phone to be able to read it better.

Luke: Hey, do you need me to come pick you up?

It was a simple greeting and question but the fact that he cares so much made me swoon.