41. Doubt

*Luke's POV*

"It's such a beautiful day." Brooke smiled as she looked up at the sky. She was totally right. The sun was shining brightly, it wasn't too hot, and the little breeze that passed through every now and then was pretty refreshing so to enjoy the day, we decided to skip school and have a picnic in the park. I also thought it'd be a good time to bring up what Avery and I talked about yesterday.

"It is." I nodded, tucking my arm under my head.

She sat up to look at me. "Why do I feel like you're in another place?"

"What do you mean? I'm right here with you." I said, wrapping my arms around her.

"Yeah your body may be here but your mind isn't. What up?"

I sighed. "We need to talk and I don't want you to get upset with me."

"Why would I get upset?" She asked.

"Because I want to talk about you and Avery." She rolled her eyes. "And whenever I bring her up, you get upset."

"That's not even true." She shook her head.

"Oh, it's not? You nearly chewed me out because I said it was her idea that you come over for dinner to win my family over when it ended up being a really great idea." I said.

She sighed. "Okay so maybe I get a teensy bit upset."

"I just wanna know why."

"I don't even know, maybe it's because you guys talk so much and you always talk about her. You two are more than friends." She said.

She can't possibly know my true feelings for her, right? I'm pretty sure I did a good job at hiding them so she can't have the slightest idea.

"More than friends?" I asked, hoping she'd elaborate.

"You're exes and deep down I have a fear that you still have some hidden feelings and you'll leave me for her. Since, you know, that's kind of what happened in our case." She looked down at the grass, pulling a few blades out of the ground.

"Babe," I lifted her chin so she'd look me in the eye, "you don't have to feel insecure. You're the one I'm in love with so there's nothing you need to worry about, okay?" I asked.

She smiled a little. "Yeah, okay." She nodded.

I leaned in to pressed my lips to hers and I cupped her face as the kiss deepened.

"I love you so much." She mumbled into my mouth.

"I love you too, baby." I hummed.

I keep lying to her and it's tearing me up. She's the first girl I didn't just want to fuck and she loves me but I can't return the feeling 'cause I love a girl I shouldn't be in love with. We were never in an actual relationship and she's with someone else, someone who just so happens to be my best friend.

And I'm not just lying to Brooke, either, I'm lying to myself. I say I love her when I don't and I tell myself I'm gonna get over Avery when I'm not. I can tell that one day soon, all of this is gonna blow up in my face and who knows what'll come of it.

After a few minutes, we broke the kiss and she leaned against my body. I wrapped my arms around her and laid the two of us back on the blanket to look up at the sky.

"Since you're both such good friends, I promise I won't get an attitude any time you mention her, but it's not like I want you to talk about her all the time." Brooke said, breaking the moment of silence.

"Of course not and thanks, Brooke, that really means a lot. And remember, you have nothing to worry about," at least I hope not, "you're the only girl for me." I smiled.