23. Or Not

*Avery's POV*

I locked the door after Luke left and went back to my spot on the couch. I've been watching television all day and not talking to anyone. I needed to disconnect and think.

Luke's apology was really sweet but I couldn't let it go as easily as he wanted me to. It's not just because I don't want to but I can't. No matter how much I like him touching me, I'll associate it with that one time he grabbed me and I won't be able to do anything about it.

It's all my dad's fault. He's the reason I'm so sensitive to people putting their arm around me. Because of his years of abuse, I don't know if I'll ever get over it. My mind knows the difference between it being a threat or gesture, but apparently my body doesn't.

But I should've gave him what he wanted since I like him, right? I have a pretty good idea of who he is as a person and he's not the type to hurt anyone, physically at least. But his personality has changed a lot too. He's not the narcissistic cheating asshole he used to be. He's this charismatic, funny guy that I can't help but like.

I can't keep thinking about him that way. We have no chance together because he likes someone else and we agreed not to develop feelings for each other. There will never be an us and I need to get that through my head as soon as possible.

After a while of sitting alone and not really paying attention to what was playing on the television, I decided to call Dylan to invite him over.

"Hey." I said after he picked up.

"Hey, Avery, are you okay? You weren't returning my texts and I was worried." He said.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just didn't feel like talking to anyone today but I'm better now."

"That's good."

"Can you come over? I'm bored and lonely."

"Yeah," he chuckled, "I'll be there in ten minutes."

"Great, thanks." And with that I hung up.

I got up and headed to the kitchen to find something to eat. But I still didn't find anything even with the ten minute grace period I had.

"I'm here!" Dylan called as I heard the door open and close. I gave him a copy of my key a while ago so he could come and go as he pleased. I never told my dad, though. If he ever found out, he'd kill me for sure.

"In the kitchen!" I yelled back as I searched through the fridge with low standards in finding something to put in my mouth.

I turned around as he entered the kitchen and hugged him. My heart started beating faster and I pulled away and smiled in hopes he didn't notice the slight panic that was probably evident on my face.

"You don't look sick to me." He commented.

"What?" I asked.

"Luke said you were sick and that was why you weren't at school today."

"That would be his excuse." I mumbled.

"What?" He asked.

"Nothing." I shook my head.

"Tell me, Avery. What are you hiding?" He asked, concern prominent on his face.

I sighed. "Luke and I got into a fight."

"Over what? He didn't hurt you, did he?"

"No of course not." I lied. If I told him he grabbed me he'd forever tell me how wrong I was about Luke but that'd be after he went to beat the shit out of him. "I said some things and he said some things and it upset me so I didn't want to come to school today."