26. Movie

*Luke's POV*

I smiled to myself as I watched her sleep. Her mouth was slightly open and she was drooling onto my shirt but I didn't care 'cause she still looked beautiful. Judging from the sun shining through the window, I could tell we were definitely late for school but I didn't care, she needs this rest.

I couldn't get what she told me yesterday out of my head. I had no idea she was constantly being tossed around like some rag doll. That explains why her demeanor changed when her father came home when we were together and why she'd always have some mark or bruise on her face or shoulder.

Thinking about it makes me regret every cruel word I've ever thrown at her. She was already going through so much and she didn't deserve any of it. I had no reason to hate this girl before, I was being a dick.

It's weird to think that just some time ago I despised her. But here I am now, laying in her bed and holding her in my arms as she sleeps. I care for her so much, it almost scares me. I don't even feel this deeply about Brooke and she's the reason I'm with Avery in the first place. But Avery's made me feel things I've never felt before and I don't know what to do about these new feelings. It's not the lust I felt for Brooke, it's something much deeper than that.

She's changed me for the better. Because of her, I'm less of an ass, more caring, and I smile a lot more.

I looked down at her and moved a piece of hair that was close to falling in her mouth. She looked so peaceful and beautiful. She didn't have her usual worried expression she sometimes masked with a smile. This is probably the only time she's truly at peace.

It's not just her physical features or personality I like, it's much more than that. She makes me happier than I've ever been. I love how we can talk and not be bored of each other, I love how we can joke around, I love how supportive and helpful she is. I just love her.

Love. That's the only word that could describe what I'm feeling. I've never been in love before but I guess this is how it feels. It's a scary thought but it makes sense. I feel my best when I'm around her or even just talking about her. She's got this spell on me that I can't shake off, but I wouldn't want to anyway. Now that's she's in my life, I can't imagine going on without her.

But the obvious problem is she doesn't feel this way about me. I was feeling elated when I finally sorted out my true feelings for her but remembering that she likes Ashton hit me like a truck. Of course I feel us being together is much better than her and Ashton but I can't convince her without revealing my true feelings. She can't ever find out how I feel because it'd ruin our friendship.

I looked down at her as she stirred and smiled. Falling in love with her might've been a mistake, given the circumstances, but it's the best mistake I could possibly make.

Her eyes fluttered open and she looked up at me.

"Good morning." I smiled.

"Hey." She sat up and yawned. "How long have you been awake?"

"Just a few minutes." I lied. The alternative would've been telling her I've been up for over an hour watching her sleep and I don't think that would've went well. "How'd you sleep?"

"It was nice." She said and leaned over to grab her phone, checking the time, I assumed. "We're super late for school." She laughed. Her laugh is one of my favorite sounds.

"Would you have really wanted to go anyway? You looked exhausted." I chuckled.

"No," she shook her head and sat back against the headboard, "you?"