9. Try

*Luke's POV*

I watched Avery leave and then turned to Ashton and Brooke.

"See you guys tomorrow." I said and made my way to my car.

I caught a glimpse of Brooke before I left and she was looking at me, but it wasn't just any look. It was almost a look of longing, like she missed me. I hope so, because I miss her a lot too.

She needs to know that her and Ash aren't supposed to be together. I know he's my best friend and I love him like a brother, but I care about her and seeing them together just doesn't feel right. I need her to know how much I care about her, how I'm willing to do anything for another chance.

When I got home, I stopped by the kitchen to grab some food before heading up to my room and throwing my bag to the side.

Why did Ashton feel like he had to ask me about that? I know this isn't real but still, he doesn't need to be all in my business. How me and Avery handle things is our business, not his.

But if he's questioning things, we're not doing enough. What we're doing is barely a relationship and we need to step it up a bit. They haven't seen us kiss and we haven't been out together. I told her this would only work if we did this right.

I took out my phone to find her name and number. I needed to text her to get a few things straight.

Me: Avery, we need to talk.

I sent it and remembered she didn't have my number.

Me: This is Luke by the way.

I waited for a few minutes before I got a reply.

Avery: About what?

Me: You're really slacking in the girlfriend department. We haven't done enough.

Avery: And how is it my fault?

Me: Because you're too scared to do anything.

Avery: I'm not scared, I'm just...I don't know, but whatever. What do you wanna do?

Me: We need to go out on a date. I know Mike and Cal usually go to the movies Friday nights so we could "run into them" there.

Avery: Okay, anything else?

Me: They're gonna have to see us kiss. Believe me, I don't like it anymore than you do but you know I've got a point.

Avery: Alright fine, I'll do it. But nothing too into it.

Me: Of course not. And also, send me your address...it looks like I'll be bringing you to school from now on.

When I received her address, I threw my phone to the side and laid back.

All of this has to work. I'm putting a lot into it and I'm making too many sacrifices for it not to. I could be getting to Brooke and if Ashton is already concerning himself with Avery and I's affairs, then she must be starting to get to him too. But we still need more. She's got to flirt with him or something. Not make it too obvious but be extra friendly towards him. I can tell she's shy just being around him so I'm gonna have to break her out of that. She's got to be more assertive or we'll fail.

I got up to finally start my homework when my phone rang. I started to ignore it because I thought it was Avery but one slight glance changed that. I was surprised to see it was Brooke and didn't waste any time more answering.