BONUS CHAPTER: The Reactions

*AN: I realized I never gave Avery's dad a name so it'll be Stefan. And their last name is Greene.

~Cam

*Dylan's POV*

"You did good, but I still won." Nick chuckled as we entered my house. We made a bet to see who could get here first and I obviously lost.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes, chuckling, "I was like, two seconds behind."

"But that two seconds is what caused you to lose." He pointed out.

I opened the fridge and grabbed two bottles of water, tossing him one. "Moving on, where does the winner want to go for dinner tonight?" The deal was the loser would take the winner out wherever they wanted and pay.

"How about a quiet night in?" He smirked, coming closer to me and placing his hands on my waist, causing butterflies to erupt in my stomach. "My parents went on this day trip and won't be back until tomorrow night. So you can come to my place and make me dinner. And then after dinner, we can do whatever you want." He pulled me closer.

"I like the sound of that." I bit my lip.

He leaned in and his lips barely touched mine when I heard my little sister squeal.

"Nick!" She said excitedly.

He let go of me and turned to her, smiling. "Hey, Jamie." She ran to him and jumped into his arms, hugging him. I swear she loves him more than me.

"Ew," she scrunched her nose, "you stink."

"Well I did just beat your big brother in a race." He chuckled. I nudged him and rolled my eyes, smiling.

"Did you want something specific, Jamie?" I asked. She's my sister and I love her, but she really just ruined the moment.

"I wanted to see Nick and mum wants you to go check the mail."

"Alright." I nod, leaving them and heading outside.

I got to the end of the driveway and opened the mailbox, pulling out the letters and closing it afterwards. As I walked back up to the house, I looked through the mail and was confused when I saw two letters with my name on them. They must've been hand delivered because there was no postage stamp or sender's address on them.

I recognized one of them to have Avery's handwriting on it and that confused me even more. The other one had terrible penmanship and I couldn't tell who it was from.

I went back inside and gave my mum the mail, keeping my two letters and heading up to my room. The first thing I wanted to do was text Avery to see why the heck she'd write me a letter but I decided not to. Maybe she was planning some sort of surprise and this is her way of delivering it somehow.

I opened her letter first and began reading it. It didn't take me long to realize that this wasn't some sort of surprise, but a goodbye. I had to read the first paragraph multiple times before continuing because it wasn't making sense. Her dad abused her for years and she never told me about it? She's been depressed, she hurt herself, she's even thought about killing herself. She's been going through so much for so long and never bothered to talk about it with me, her best friend.

To say I was hurt was an understatement. I felt like I didn't even know her because she didn't bother to include me in a huge part of her life. I could've helped her. There was so much we could've done to get her out of there but she chose to leave and never return.

I continued with the letter, wiping my tears before they could fall on the paper, and read about how much I meant to her. If I really was like a brother to her, would she have left me? I loved her and I would've done anything for her, but she abandoned me and couldn't even manage to say goodbye to my face.