37. Second Chances

*Luke's POV*

"It's nice being able to hang out at your place without your parents or little brothers around." I said when the movie went off.

"Tell me about it." She said. "My mum still goes on and on about how we shouldn't be together."

"She's not the only one." I rolled my eyes.

I was gonna take Avery's advice and invite Brooke over for what I hope will be a nice dinner with my family. They aren't terrible to the point where they'll say what they really think about her to her face but I know for a fact they won't hide they aren't happy. But they'll have to deal with it 'cause she's someone I care a lot about.

Wow, even in my own thoughts I can't bring myself to say that I love her. At least I figured out why, though, and I plan on changing that. I've finally accepted that there'll never be a future for Avery and I so I need to let her go. She'll always hold a special place in my heart but she can't be my top priority.

"But maybe they just need another chance at getting to know you better. And what better way to bond than over dinner?" I suggested.

"Yeah, 'cause there's nothing I'd rather do with my evening than spend it getting grilled my your parents and brothers." She said.

"It might not be as bad as you think. Maybe if you guys all sit and talk, they'll finally see why I love you."

Nope, still didn't feel a thing.

"What made you think of something like this anyway?" She asked.

"Avery suggested it." I immediately wanted to take it back when she gave me a look.

"Avery knows your family doesn't like me?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. I could already tell from her tone that this wasn't gonna go well.

"Well, yeah, but don't think of it like that."

"How much else of our business have you been telling her? Why are you still talking to her anyway? You guys aren't a thing anymore. You don't see me talking to Ash about you all the time."

"It's not even like that, Brooke. Avery and I are good friends and I talk to her because she gives really good advice. And before you even say it, there's nothing going on between us. You're the one I'm with because I care about you." I said, taking her hand in mine and intertwining our fingers. "You should know me better than that."

She sighed. "You're right, and I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me but I trust you completely."

I smiled, "Good," and leaned down and pressed my lips to hers. "So is that a yes to the dinner plan?"

"Sure, why not. It can't get any worse than it already is." She shrugged. "When would you like me over?"

"Tonight." I stated. Might as well get it over with.

"What? You can't be serious. I won't have enough time to prepare." She shook her head.

"Look, Brooke, it's not like you have to put on your war paint, it's just dinner. And I want all this hate to go away as soon as possible 'cause you don't deserve the rude remarks." I said.

"Okay, fine." She sighed.

"Thank you." I kissed her cheek and stood up. "I should get going so I can go ahead and let them know you'll be there so they can get all their yelling out their systems." She stood and walked me to the door. "Be there at six, okay?"

"Six." She nodded.

I wrapped my arms around her waist, locking my hands behind her back and pressed her front against mine. She smiled up at me and wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling us together so our foreheads touched. I finally closed the gap between us and kissed her beautiful lips, pushing my tongue through her slightly parted lips to deepen the kiss.