13. Move On

I avoided Ashton all weekend so there wouldn't be any further conflicts, not that he was really reaching out to me anyway. I know Avery told me to apologize and I was going to, I just wanted to give us both a bit of time. It was a heated moment and I was able to get a bit of that anger off my chest but I could've messed things up and in the end it wasn't worth it. Hopefully I can patch things up with him and we can move on.

I pulled up to Avery's house and she was already outside. She walked towards my car and I stopped her from saying anything when she opened the door.

"I already know what you're gonna say and I'm gonna do it today, I promise." I said.

"Actually," she started, shutting the door behind her, "I was gonna ask you how you feel."

"Well considering I have to apologize for doing something to him that he deserved, not that great. He was all the way wrong and you want me to make it seem like I'm sorry when I'm not. But I'll fake it if it means continuing on with the plan." I shrugged.

"Not actually what I meant either. How does your face feel?" She asked.

"Oh, its fine, thanks."

I know I've mentioned this before, but it's kind of weird how our relationship has shifted. Don't get me wrong, there are still moments where she pisses me off but this is still better than what we had before. I don't know if it's because we've been spending all of this time together or what but I kind of like it, us not constantly fighting I mean.

She nodded. "It looks like it's healing. Your lip isn't swollen, which is good."

"Why are you being nice?" I blurted out. "I mean I practically forced you into doing this with me and I'm a dick to you most of the time yet you helped me and talk to me like we've been friends for a while."

"I don't know." She shrugged. "I'm a bitch sometimes I know that but I can't really explain why I'm nice to you. I guess because those who go through the most pain have the most love in their hearts and are the most caring."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "What pain do you go through?" I asked.

"We're here." She stated, ignoring my question.

I found a parking space and we got out, heading into the school together. I wanted to know what she meant before but I didn't want to bring it up again since we were at school, but later on at some point I will. And to make things better, Ashton was making his way over.

My grip on her hand tightened, probably out of anger.

"Morning, Avery." He smiled, not even looking my way. I was glad to see he was sporting a bruised eye from our little fall out two days ago.

"Hi, Ash." She said quietly. "Where's Brooke?" She asked.

"She went on that three day debate team tournament trip. They left early this morning." He replied.

"Awe, I'm sure you'll miss her." She said.

"Yeah," he sighed and nodded, "but I'm proud of her."

He'll miss her? Bullshit. I'm sure he'll just miss what she does for him.

But I didn't want to think about that. We used to do the same things, maybe even more, and the thought of her doing things with him, touching him, disgusted me.

"I'll catch you two later." He said, walking off.

Avery nudged my side with her elbow.

"Ow, what?" I asked.

"That was the perfect time to apologize." She said.

"He wouldn't even look at me."

"So? You've got to be the bigger person, suck it up. And you better hope he didn't tell Brooke about it or it'll be harder for you."