17. Dinner

*Avery's POV*

"You've got to decide on something and stop being so difficult." Dylan whined.

"Hey, this was your idea. I was fine with wearing something from my closet but nothing was good enough in your opinion." I said.

Dylan and I were at the mall 'cause he suggested that I get something nice to wear to dinner tonight. I told him it really wasn't that big of a deal but he said fake or not, it's always important to make a good first impression. So we've been walking around for the past two hours with nothing to show of it. Whenever he tries to get me to do something different, we don't always see eye to eye.

"This is dinner with his parents, you can't just go wearing some leggings and a band tee. You have to look a bit more presentable."

"I would've worn a different shirt...I don't own just band shirts you know."

Although that's mostly what I own...

"I'm just trying to help you out. It won't kill you to step out of your bubble sometimes." He said.

"It's not even that big of a deal. We're not actually together." I reminded him even though I didn't have to, he constantly brings it up.

"That's what you say and, while I hate to admit it, I'm starting to think otherwise." He said as he looked through some dresses.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You two were pretty close last night."

I thought about it and he had a point. Luke did have his arm around me for a majority of the night. Not that I'm complaining, though 'cause to be honest, I kind of liked it.

I find myself liking a lot of the stuff he does: hugging me, calling me babe, and even kissing me. But it's not just stuff like that either, I like his smile, his humor, how much he seems to care when I don't seem to be myself.

But I can't like him or the things he does because I like Ashton and he likes Brooke, it's as simple as that. We're in this only so we could be with the people we really want to be with, not each other.

I might not even actually like him, just the attention he's giving me. All I really want is some guy to like me and treat me right and because he's acting like he cares for me, I felt like I should like him when in reality it could be the actions I like and not him. Not that there's anything wrong with him or anything, it's just that it won't work. Like I said before, he likes someone else. I'd have no chance with him even if I wanted one.

"I guess you didn't hear a word I said." Dylan stated.

"What?" I asked and shook my head. "I'm sorry, I got wrapped up in my thoughts."

"That's okay, I'll just pick up whatever I want and you'll go try it on. What are you thinking about?" He asked as he scanned the racks for some tops.

"Well..." I didn't know if I should tell him or not because I didn't know how he'd react. I'm not even sure I've truly sorted through what I'm feeling.

"You know you can tell me anything." He looked at me. "That's what I'm here for."

"I know but I haven't even sorted through how I feel yet." I admitted.

"We'll talk about it later then." He dumped the clothes he was holding into my arms. "Now it's time for you to try on everything."

I groaned and went to wait for a change room. When one of the associates came to open one for me, I sat the clothes on the bench and started trying them on.