19. Flirt

I woke up the next day determined to not mess anything up. I was a bad person yesterday and I wanted to make things right between Avery and I. Not because I kind of like her but because she's my friend and I want her to be happy.

Once I was ready for the day, I left my house a little earlier than I usually do. In an attempt to make her happy, I thought I'd get her breakfast as a way to patch things up. Who could pass up on free food and coffee?

I first went to the Macca's by my house and picked both of us up a breakfast sandwich and afterwards I went to Starbucks to get us something to drink; her a frappuccino, because I know she likes them, and myself an iced tea. I made sure the drinks were secure in the cup holders and the bag of food sat in my lap as I drove to her place.

I pulled up to her house and waited for her to come outside. After a few minutes, she came out and got into my car.

"Good morning." I smiled.

"Hey." Her tone was dry and a little sad.

"I brought you some Starbucks, the frappuccino is yours, and a breakfast sandwich." I reached into the bag and handed her one.

"Thank you." She smiled a little and unwrapped the food to take a bite.

I took my sandwich out of the bag and began eating as I drove.

"You didn't have to do this you know." She said.

"Yeah, well, I wanted to patch up all the holes so that you would feel better. I know I was the cause of you being upset yesterday and I'm sorry. I wasn't being myself." I said as I turned into the school parking lot.

"It's okay."

"So we're good?" I asked.

"We're good." She nodded.

"Perhaps "we're good" will be our always." I chuckled.

"Oh my god!" She laughed and swatted my arm. "Did how really quote The Fault In Our Stars at me?"

"Kind of." I chuckled. We got out of the car and threw our trash away, being left with our drinks.

"I love that book and movie. John Green is by far my favorite author." She said.

"Me too and maybe we could watch it together if you'd like." I wasn't sure if asking her to watch a movie with me was too much or not. I'm sure it wouldn't help me get over her at all.

"Yeah, I'd like that." She smiled.

"Cool." I put my arm around her and she winced. "Are you okay?" I removed my arm and examined her face.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She said.

I've been meaning to ask why she's always in some sort of pain or why she sometimes will have a mark on her face but I didn't want to intrude.

"I just slept wrong, that's all." She said and took my hand. "Let's get inside."

I didn't say another word about it as we walked into the school building. I didn't know what to say, really. If she doesn't want to tell me, she doesn't have to but it's obvious she's hiding something.

"Hey guys." Ashton smiled as he approached us.

I let out a groan and Avery nudged me. "Morning." She smiled.

"I'd love to stay and chat but I've got things to do so I'm gonna go now. I'll see you later, babe." I leaned down and gave her a kiss on her lips before walking off. I don't know if it's the best time for us to be kissing like that right now but I wanted him to get jealous. If he's starting to like her like I think he is, then that should've hit him hard.