11. Fake Date

*Avery's POV*

Most people look forward to Friday nights. They get to hang out with their friends or boyfriends/girlfriends, have fun and just enjoy themselves, but not me. My Friday night is gonna be spent with Luke on this "date" just so we can look more like a couple. I know why I'm doing this but sometimes I regret my decision. Am I really that desperate for someone to like me that I'd go through all this trouble? Apparently.

After school, Luke dropped me off at my house.

"I'll be back to pick you up around seven." He said.

"Okay." I nodded. I closed the door and he pulled out of the driveway and drove down the street.

I went inside and headed up to my room.

I threw my bag in the corner and sat in the chair at my desk and checked the time. It was a little after three so that meant I had a little less than four hours to get ready. Since this date wasn't real, I wasn't gonna spend all my time deciding on what to wear and preparing myself like any other girl would. If anything, I'll take a quick shower and put on a new outfit. Luke isn't worth any real effort.

But what about my dad? I've got to make sure his food is ready and that he's got everything he needs before I leave. He already doesn't like me dating, so if he ever figured out what I'm doing with Luke, he'd blow his top for sure.

I'll probably just tell him I'm hanging out with Dylan tonight. Whenever I say that, he really doesn't care, just as long as he knows and that I'm home by a certain time. And he knows I'd never date Dylan anyway, since he's like my brother and the obvious fact that he's gay.

Just as I plugged my earphones into my phone to listen to music, my phone started ringing and I saw Dylan's name flash across the top. I put the ear pieces in and slid to answer.

"Hello?" I greeted.

"Hey, Avery." He said cheerily. Dylan was always happy and he was one of the few reasons I smiled.

"Hey Dylan, what's up?" I asked as I got up to leave my room. I might as well start on dinner now since I'm not doing anything else.

"Nothing, really, you?" He asked.

"Just starting on dinner." I said as I looked for something to make.

"Are you busy later? Wanna hang out? Like maybe catch a movie or go to the roller rink."

"I'd love to but I can't. I'm going on a date with Luke tonight." I could taste the bile rise in my throat.

"Why would you do that?" He asked.

"We are "dating"." I used air-quotes even though I knew he couldn't see me. "And he said we have to keep up the act and make it look as real as possible. Two of his friends are gonna be at the theater so we're gonna have them see us just to keep this going."

He groaned. "You really don't have to do this, Avery. You're better than that."

"This might be the only way Ashton will ever notice me." I said. I decided to make my dad some spaghetti. You can never go wrong with that.

"Maybe he's not worth it. I know I said it was all up to you before but I'm your best friend and I'm just looking out for you." He said.

"I know, Dylan," I sighed, "and I love you for it. But I really like this guy and I made a promise. I can't back out now."

"How long is it gonna take? I don't like you being around that jerk." He said.

I chuckled. "Hopefully not too long. We're trying to subtlety come between two people, Dylan, it's not gonna happen in a day."