47. Independence Day

*Luke's POV*

"I've told you time and time again, it'll be okay. I don't care what Brooke may think, you're more important." I said as I led Avery out of her house to drive her to school. She told me what happened Saturday and it's taken every ounce of me to not go to Ashton's house and beat him to a pulp. "You may wanna, uh..." I motioned for her to pull up her hoodie to cover the bruises her dick of a dad gave her.

"Thanks." She muttered as she pulled it up as she got into my car.

"No problem." I nodded, starting up my car and pulling out.

I was a little worried about what Brooke would think but we haven't ran into her when we arrive at school together so things are okay.

"I meant for everything. You tried to warn me but I was too stubborn but I'm glad you're not rubbing it in my face or anything and I really appreciate that."

"I'm not the type to say I told you so." Even though I kind of did. "You're going through too much right now for me to do that to you."

She smiled her first smile, well half smile, in days and it made me feel a little better knowing that she'll be back to her usual self soon.

We arrived at school and headed inside together. I glanced over at her and noticed her eyes were scanning the halls, for Ashton I guess.

"Are you ready to talk to him?" I asked. Here I am, finally with the opportunity to tell her how I truly feel and I'm talking to her about her ex-boyfriend. I really am the biggest idiot I know.

"What? No, no way. He lied to me and I don't want to look at him ever again. I don't want to talk to him, I don't even want to talk about it." She said, stopping at her locker.

"Okay then." I said, raising my hands up. "We won't talk about him anymore, but it's not healthy to keep your feelings bottled up." I'm one to talk. "I can tell that you won't be giving him another chance but I still think the two of you should talk so you can have some sort of closure."

"I guess you're right." She mumbled, pulling a book out. "I'll think about it."

After she finished and closed her locker, Mike and Cal came over.

"Hello you lovely people." Calum smiled, looking between me and Avery.

"How're you feeling?" Mike asked her.

"A little better. Luke has really been helping me a lot." She nodded.

"I bet he has." Cal smirked.

I nudged him and rolled my eyes. Ever since I told them about my true feelings for her, they've been giving me looks and hinting at it. I don't want them giving anything away but at least she's too distraught to notice.

"C'mon, I'll walk you to class." I put my arm around her and turned her away from them as they began to make kissy faces and flipped them off behind her back.

We walked down the hall and as if things couldn't get any better, we ran into Brooke coming out of one of the classrooms. She gave us one look and shook her head. I quickly took my arm from around Avery but Brooke already started walking away.

"Go to her, I'll be fine." Avery said.

I nodded and left her, quickly walking to catch up with Brooke.

I grabbed her arm and turned her around to face me. "Whatever you're thinking, it's not like that." I said. I knew Brooke had always thought that there was something going on between Avery and I. "She's just upset and I'm trying to comfort her."