Chapter 33: The Hard Road

***Lita's POV***

By the time I got home my siblings were all on the couch watching Spongebob, even the older ones.

I threw my backpack on the floor and headed to the kitchen. My ma was cooking dinner, my mom's brother Jack doing some paper work, and me sitting on the counter.

"Hey mija,"my ma greeted.

"Hi,"I said returning the gesture.

"So how was school today?"my Uncle asked as he took off his glasses and looked at me.

I sighed,"fine I guess."

My mom frowned as she stopped dicing the peppers and looked at me,"you alright Li?"

"Yeah. Today, we have the nominees for the masquerade ball that the school is having. I got nominated as one of the Princesses and if I get enough votes, I might be chosen as queen,"I replied quietly.

"Mija that's wonderful!"my mother clapped.

"I know sweetie. Is it because you don't have a mask or a dress?"my uncle asked me.

"No, it's because I don't wanna be Queen or Princess. And I have to go,"I muttered as I picked at my nails, the black metallic nail polish on it.

"Well no matter. I'll find you a dress and mask that you'll love,"my mom gushed.

"As long as it's black,"I called to her as she went to the attic to choose from the many dresses she has.

"You know your mom Lita, once you get her started there's no stopping her,"My Uncle bellowed.

"I know,"I giggled at my uncle's comment."But I doubt she has any gowns or masks."

"Mija, your mom has been waiting for this day. She is a seamstress, and I'm sure she can make a mask,"my uncle said.

"Ah, point taken there."

My mom came back with a bag over the dress and she had it in her hand by the hook. When she zipped it off and placed the dress delicately over the counter.

It was a beautiful dress. A black strapless short ruched cocktail dress. Simple and beautiful, what'd top it off is maybe my black leather jacket, but I highly doubt my parents would let me wear it. Especially my mom.

"It's beautiful. But how 'bout a mask?"I asked her.

Her thin lips curved in a smile,"now I wore this to my dance at school. I kept it just in case you'd like it."

She went to the cabinet, her special, private cabinet where we weren't suppose to go through. She pulledout a cardboard box with a thin layer of dust over it. She blew away the dust and handed it to me.

I took off the box and took out the mask to get a better look at it. It was a white masquerade mask but nearly gray thanks to the black lace over it with black roses. A black and white rose on the side of it with matching feathers and ribbons on it.

"I love it mom, where'd you get it?"I asked her.

"I made it,"she beamed."Your grandmother Rosa never could afford a dress or a mask, so I made my own mask with a plain white one I found at the dollar store down the street. Got the lace from Rosa's old hat, the fake rose from the neighbors, ribbons and feathers from my old winter coat, and lastly I got the color the way it is because of my art teacher at high school."

It's true though. See life was pretty easy for my Dad but for my mom it was the complete opposite. My Granddad died when my mom was 13 because of a brain tumor. So it was real difficult for my mom. My grandma had to raise 3 kids on her own in a tiny condo in Houston and she worked as a maid at a hotel where she had to work late shifts. My mom and her brother had to cook dinner, do all the chores, everything. Even tutor my mom's younger sister cos they had no way to bring her to school. So my mom was the first one in her family to go to college, so when she did she moved to Los Angeles and got a job as a seamstress after making clothes herself since sometimes it was hard for them to purchase clothes.

That's when she met my dad. He was working as an intern the same place my mom worked. They fell in love with each other and got married 3 years after. Then soon enough they had kids. My older brother Leo, me, my younger sister Tia, and my younger brother George.

It made me sad that my dad couldn't be here right now, I'd love to hear that he's happy for me because it made me feel so good inside. But he can't. He's in the stupid hospital in a freakin' coma. My mom refuse to unplug the plugs, she insisted that he'd wake soon. And of course there was me and my siblings who had just as much faith as my mother.

"Your father would be so proud of you mija,"my mom whispered to me before pressing a kiss on my forehead.

I smiled as my Uncle wrapped his arms around me and kiss the crown of my head,"my little Lita..."

I remember coming home crying to my father's arms screeching why my parents named me Lita, a horrible Latin name. I was I think in first grade at the time, so at the time everyone in my school had American, simple names I had the craziest name out of them all. I just wanted to blend in with all the Judy's and Sally's, but of course that was hard.

He chuckled as he rocked me back and forth as I sat in his lap,"mija, we named you Lita because in Latin origin, 'Lita' means little winged girl. To us you're our beautiful miracle. Our angel. You will always be my little Princess, my little winged girl, my angel."

And that's my name. Lita Theresa Maria Sanchez. But I am no ordinary girl, I am a winged little girl. An angel to my parents.

God I wish I got my name like that. But nope, my parents didn't know what to name me on the day I was born so they called my uncle and poof my name comes up -__-

Anyway I am pissed cos I was gonna post a chapter for 'Reunited..Thanks To The Internet' but of course it got deleted so pissed...Extra pissy today. By the way, dress on the side

Much Love Guys

~IaMmE_Chick

Xxxx