Chapter 2

Meghan's POV:
"What flavor are you going to get?" I asked as we walked to her favorite shop. Marlie insisted on going to the boardwalk shop whenever we got ice cream. I, of course, obliged because I was the same way with my pizza.

"Vanilla!" Marlie yelled. Just like Charlie. I thought. I shook the thought of him out of my head and smiled. Marlie jumps up and down excitedly and I giggle,

"Come 'ere you." I say and pick her up. I balance her on my hip and she wraps her tiny arms around my neck.

"Tell the lady want you want." I say and Marlie smiles,

"A cone with vanilla ice cream, please!" She tells the lady at the counter. I smile that she uses the manners I taught her and kiss her cheek. The lady smiles and nods. As she scoops the ice cream, I set Marlie back down and get out my wallet. The lady hands me the cone and I pay her. I give the cone to Marlie and she runs to the sand. She loves the beach more than she loves her toys and she loves them a lot. Marlie sits down on the sand near the water and I sit next to her. I sink my toes into the sand and try to relax until Jordon arrives. The waves crashing onto the sand and the warm midday sun making it a lot easier. Marlie licks at her ice cream and I giggle again.

"Okay, toots. Give me some." I smile. Marlie hands her cone over and I lick part of it and hand it back. She starts licking it and I'm glad that she is still at the age where she doesn't care if I did that. I scoot closer to her and look at the ocean. Marlie finishes her cone fairly quickly. It was a small one, not too much sugar and stands up.

"Mommy can I go collect sea shells?" She asks. I nod and she runs the few feet to the water. I watch her pick up shells and she brings me a few at a time.

"Hey," I say and hold her hand.

"Not too far in, okay? I don't want you caught in the current." She smiles and nods. She goes back over to the water and talks with other kids by the water. I smile at her when she holds out her hand to one of the girls and they shake. Looks like Marlie made a friend....