Charlie 25

Meghan's POV:
The sudden light streaming into my window and the five year old jumping on my bed makes my early Saturday morning a little better.

"MOMMY! MOMMY! WAKE UP!" Marlie yells and jumps around. I giggle and sit up a little and rub my eyes.

"Good morning princess." I reply and smile up at her. Marlie giggles and flops down on the bed, beside me.

"Guess what today is!" She squeals.

"Hmmm. Our birthdays aren't until December and it's not a holiday..... I give up what is it?"

"Graduation!" She yells and starts jumping around again. I giggle and get out of bed. Marlie hops downstairs after me and I head into the kitchen to make breakfast while Marlie watches television. I take out strawberries, blueberries, and pancake mix, and start to prepare breakfast. A few minutes later I have the dough made and fruit washed. I start to pour some of the dough in the pan when the doorbell rings. I wipe my hands on my apron and head over to the door. I open it lazily and my eyes brighten when I see who it is.

"Mom! Dad! Oh my God! What are you doing here?!"

"Well, when we found out Marlie was graduating, your mother and I flew out here." My dad says.

"Where is the little muffin anyway?" My mom asks and scans the house.

"Marlie is in the living room watching television." I reply and smile. I start walking back towards the kitchen and to the stove where I see my pancake hasn't even browned yet. I check the stove and realize I forgot to turn it on. Whoops... I quickly turn it on and start to prepare breakfast. When I am finished, everyone comes and sits down at the table. I pass the plates out and pour everyone orange juice. We start to dig in and make small talk. My mom mostly talks with Marlie and I talk with my dad. We are taking about their jewelry business when overhear Marlie,

"And my Daddy said he is coming too! He said he was going to give me the biggest present and bear hug ever!" She says and continues eating her pancakes. My mom looks to me and gives me a look of 'you told her?' and 'are you two back together?'

"And Daddy said he was bringing his friend." Marlie buts in.

"Woah. Wait." My mom says and rests her fingertips on her temples.

"Meghan, what in God's name is going on?"

"Well...." I say and stuff my mouth full of pancakes.

"Meghan...." My dad warns.

"Fine. But's it's a long story." I start swallowing the food.

"The short one, we don't have all day." My mother says impatiently.

"The short one is Charlie found Marlie and I at the beach, blah blah blah. He wanted to start our relationship again, blah blah. He was cheating and we weren't even together... And then a whole bunch of drama and heartbreak later, he has a new 'friend' that he is apparently bringing." I say and take a sip of my coffee.

"And is this 'friend' and him having S-E-X or dating?" My mother says attempting to spell it out rather than say it in front of Marlie.

"I have no earthly clue and I don't really give a F-U-C-K about him anymore." I reply. My mom glares at me while my dad cracks up. I check the time and my phone and sigh.

"Time to get ready toots." I smile and pick her up.

"Grandma! Come look at my dress!" Marlie squeals.

"I'm coming, I'm coming dear!" She yells from behind us. I carry Marlie upstairs and my mom offers to get her ready while I get ready. I accept and head into my room. I grab a casual dress that is almost exact to what Marlie will be wearing and start to do my makeup.

 I grab a casual dress that is almost exact to what Marlie will be wearing and start to do my makeup

When I am finished, I step out front and see my mother attempting to take pictures with her iPhone. I giggle and walk over to Marlie. I pick her up and set her on my hip. My mom continues taking pictures and I do silly faces with Marlie. After a few minutes my father honks the horn indicating we need to hurry. We all scramble down the steps and into the car.

Charlie's POV:
I grab my jacket off the hanger and slip it on over my suit. I straighten it out and look into the mirror. I finally have cut my hair and made it look nice for today. I smile happily and see Hailey finally come out of the bathroom in a simple pink dress. She comes over to me and wraps her arms around my neck.

"You clean up nicely." She grins. I manage to give a small smile and nod. I walk past her and start to gather my things.

"What? No, 'you look nice as well'?" She calls after me and slips on her heels.

"Oh yeah. Um. You look.... nice." I say and grab my keys off the table. We both head outside and into my car. I start the engine and we're off. Soon, we arrive at the school and I see it is already packed. I manage to find a spot and get out of the car and go around and help Hailey out of the car. She wraps her arm around mine and we walk in. A group of elderly women great us at the door and hand us a brochure of the graduating class. As soon as we walk through the second set, I scan the room and look for Meghan. When we walk into the auditorium, we are ushered to the next row of seats and sit down. I look up towards the stage and see Meghan talking and laughing with a few other parents. She laughs at one of their comments and I smile. One of her friends that are facing me, taps her shoulder and not so discreetly points my way. Meghan gives a sad nod and the other few women look sad at her. I manage to shake it off but feel my heart clench in my chest. A few minutes later, my parents come in and sit down next to me in the seats we saved. What? My daughter is graduating pre-school and a dad can't invite her grandparents? Geez. My parents give skeptical looks to Hailey but don't say anything. As the auditorium fills, I see Meghan has an empty space next to her and Leo is nowhere in sight. I look to my parents and sigh. There is no way they would late me cheat on either on them, no matter the circumstance. I slump back into my chair and look back to Meghan. She is so beautiful. Her red locks have been pulled up into a loose ponytail and she has a gorgeous summer dress on. As the ceremony starts, I zone out and wait for the kids to come out. Not so quietly, Leo walks down the isle and sits down by Meghan. She smiles and he gives her a kiss on the cheek and sits down next to her. He sets one of his arms on top of Meghan's chair and continues watching the presentation. After awhile, they finally start to announce the classes.

"Jacob Moore, Anthony Carter, Vanessa High, William Pesa, Shirley Gratin, Marlie Trainor...." The principle says and hands her a piece of paper. A few people clap and I wave to Marlie. She doesn't see me and waves to Meghan and Leo. She takes her place next to the other kids and then everyone claps when all kids have been announced. They then get off the stage and join their parents while the principle and staff finish the ceremony. When the lights finally come on, I immediately head to the front. It's easier than expected when everyone else is trying to leave. I make my way up to Meghan and see Marlie is hugging Leo. My heart clenches and I walk up to them.

"Hey Marlie!" I say and open my hands out.

"Hey Daddy!" She squeals. I smile but then see Meghan come over.

"You look beautiful." I comment and she nods. I reach my arms out for Marlie again but Meghan interjects,

"We have to hurry home. Can't forget about the party." She says and grabs Marlie from Theo's arms. I nod sadly and watch as they walk out. Can't forget about the party.