Chapter 58

Wow... you guys have been incredibly sympathetic and kind, thank you.

"You are thinking about Finn, aren't you?" Jack asked, he wasn't angry in his tone but I could tell that the little hope he gathered from the late night cuddling on our first date had been shattered. Jack saw how consumed I was with Finn.

"No," I denied quickly that I had been leaning on the car window staring out at the residential streets passing us, thinking deeply about how much I miss Finn.

"I was thinking about how exclusive this restaurant opening is, is Rebecca coming?"

Jack let me off with changing the subject so shamelessly.

"I don't know who's coming," He wriggled his hand into the pocket of his jacket that was on the back seat.

"128 Quay Avenue at 8," I read off the little piece of brown cardboard that Jack handed me from the back seat.

That was all it said, in manicured handwriting.

As we drove I saw my residential neighbourhood slowly integrate into an industrial graveyard of old broken factories and machinery. An then in to a sad, dangerous road network of night clubs and drunk, high teenagers crying and laughing in a toxic stumbling haze.

After fifteen minutes of me vowing we were lost, the GPS found our final destination.

A quiet residential street of small town houses.

"This can't be Quay Avenue?" I questioned, even though we saw the road sign as we drove in to the street.

"I don't understand this," Jack agreed.

But everything became a lot more confusing when we found Rebecca Andy and Finn standing outside 128 Quay Avenue.

We parked quickly and Jack and I started to ask Rebecca questions.

"What are we doing here?"

"This isn't an elite restaurant, Rebecca,"

"What's going on?"

Rebecca held up her hands to gesture some sort of surprise reveal.

"Congratulations love birds! It's all yours!" She held her hands to the house behind her.

I looked at Finn and Rebecca's timid husband, Andy. Finn's eyes were wide open, numb to my searching eyes, his chiselled face was blank in shock.

Andy was quiet and avoided my eyes unlike Finn who was staring at my desperate face.

"You bought Jack and me a house?" I asked slowly, I felt unsteady. Jack was quiet and I needed him to be loud and confused and shocked and disbelieving with me.

"It's your wedding present!" Rebecca exclaimed, I saw in her face that she was waiting expectantly for excitement or screams or thank-yous.

Jack put his head in his hand.

"Jack and I have been dating for less than a week," I stated dumbly.

"Hours, days, weeks, months, years" Rebecca listed, "they don't matter when your as in love as you two!" She reasoned, walking us towards our house.

'Our house' the phrase sent me in to spiral of disbelief. I could not spend twenty four hours a day, seven days a week with Jack desperately watching and waiting for me to fall for him until our imminent wedding day.

It was tall and narrow building neighboured closely by identical brick houses. With no back yard and a one car wide drive way, it was a perfect first-home. It had no elite fenis that came with past home history. It was boring, sturdy and was just right.

And a completely unacceptable gift.

" Rebecca- " she interrupted me telling her off.

"Liv, it's done, Andy and I have bought it for you," Rebecca snapped angrily but still with that unchanging smile. She opened the door to our house and let us in.

•••

Rebecca showed us around the fully furnished house, emphasising the luxurious wardrobe she had bought me. But after the initial surprises and joy, I could see her becoming bored of her new project.

"We are going to let you two love birds settle in!" Rebecca pushed both Andy and Finn towards the door quickly.

"I need to use your bathroom" Finn broke his silence for the first time in the last hour. He was quiet and had a numb monotone to his voice.

"Yeah sure" I said gently, thankful that he was not viscous to me.

Rebecca was nervous with the idea of leaving Finn without her watchful eye overseeing his and I interactions. She left to her car, yelling about how quick Finn needs to be.

When Finn came down from the bathroom upstairs, Jack left to our room upstairs give us a few precious private moment.

Finn stood at the door, hiding away from his mothers watching eyes from the car.

"Liv, I have to be quick," Finn's numb facade had changed to a hurried nervous chatter.

"What, Finn, tell me" All his mean words disappeared and my hope started to build as his arms held me and his indifference towards me changed to worry.

Rebecca yelled from the car and honked the horn aggressively.

"I want to be with you, Liv, and I'm going to do anything to be get us together."

And Finn ran out to the car.

***

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.