Chapter 60 An Investigation

It had been a long week and our hopes of finding Rebecca had dwindled.

She was well and truly gone.

Which of course made me upset not only for Jack, Finn and Andy, but also my parents. They had lost a good friend that they had stayed close to for almost half of my life.

But I also wondered for 'The Agreement'... Was it going to be unforced with Rebecca not present to force Jack and I together?

She always seemed to be the driving force of the union.

My parents were very worried for Rebecca and invested all their energy and time into finding leads and helping Andy, they acted as if their life depended on Rebecca's whereabouts.

While the search was still ongoing at the start of her disappearance everyone would stay at Andy's home all day and then Jack and I would stay in their spare room together overnight.

Being in such close proximity to Finn and not being able to act on our feelings absolutely killed, but I stayed close to Jack. He was completely broken by his mothers disappearance and adding infidelity, would surely drive him to breaking point.

Only once or twice had Finn and I been privately alone together for more than a few intimate seconds.

Once when Jack was busy with his father; Finn and I went on an expedition to put posters up around London as if Rebecca was a lost puppy and we were her owners waiting for her safe return.

I went along to spend precious time with Finn but also to get answers to some burning questions. He had been bored by his mothers disappearance and I found some of the back hand comments he would mumble about his mother, chilling.

"We're better off without her,"

"I'm god-damn glad she's gone,"

No one else would here these little insights because they were so absorbed in finding her, but I was stalking Finn.

Watching him, listening to him, investigating him, loving him.

I was suspicious, not just because of his little comments but also his lack of interest in his mother being missing.

Almost as if, he knew where Rebecca was.

•••

"Do you remember the night your mum surprised Jack and I with the house she bought us?" I stapled a flyer to a wooden trunk of a tree.

We were in a London park together handing out flyers, freshly printed, about Rebecca. I was stapling a few to posts and trees.

I was trying to lead in to questioning him about the ominous last words he said to me that night just before he left.

"I want to be with you, Liv, and I'm going to do anything to be get us together."

And the next day, the biggest obstacle in the way of me and Finn being together disappeared.

I was scared.

"Yeah, I remember, it was the night before she disappeared" Finn smiled at me a little and I realised suddenly I had a frowned expression. Finn came over quickly to kiss me gently and then ran back to handing out flyers.

"Do you remember what you said to me before you left?"

I tried to smile a little and be light hearted but the more I thought about Finn's attitude the more suspicious he seemed.

"Yeah, I do?" Finn looked at me, gingerly. He was confused by this line of questioning.

"I said something about how much I loved you and wanted to be with you," He made warm and genuine eye contact with me.

Fuck, Finn was perfect. In every fucking molecule of him, he was perfect.

Finn smiled and laughed a little at how entranced I was by his words and his looks and his everything.

I shook myself from a daze in his beauty to question some more.

"You said something about doing anything to get us back together."

"Yeah, and I meant it." His smile grew into a charming grin and he forgot his duty of handing out flyers to come and enjoy the private moment we had together.

He cuddled up to me and he was warm compared to the cold London air. It felt so good to be close to him and I smiled into his shoulder. I cuddled closer into his puffy jacket and didn't let go for a long minute.

When I pulled away I held the feeling of that hug and solidified I completely in my permanent memory. I might not get a hug from Finn for a long time.

There was a pause.

"And then the next day, your mum disappeared," I asked gently,

Finn's smile transformed in to an angry glare when he realised what I was suggesting.

"Drop it, Liv" He commanded.

"Why are you so uninterested in finding Rebecca?" I wasn't going to stop. I had prioritised finding answers over Finn's temper.

"You don't know what your saying" Finn gave me an intense stare that told me that I needed to stop asking questions.

I didn't. I just got furious. My eyes squinted in to angry slits and I eyed Finn for a reaction as I spoke my last question.

"I think it's because you already know where she is, don't you?" I whispered, angrily through gritted teeth.

Finn was silent.

"Finn, I want to be with you more than you can ever know but if your hiding something from me," I paused to sigh out all the pain in saying the brutal truth to his dishonesty,

"...this isn't going to work." I lingered, looking in to his sad wet eyes with a strong serious stare and gave him my excess flyers and walked off.

He didn't say anything or call after me. Finn just stood where he was and internalised what had just happened.

I think I just broke up with Finn.

The man I loved, the man I lost and desperately yearned for and now, the man I was throwing away.

AUTHORS NOTE:

SHIIIIEEETTTTTT!????

Things just got dramatic quick?!

I need to know, once and for all:

Who should Liv end up with?

JACK OR FINN?

I know they just had an argument but no one can deny the chemistry between Liv and Finn.

But on the other hand:

Jack treats her really good and they are generally pretty cute?

COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT