Chapter 63 A Phone Call

It was early in the morning, maybe 4 or 5, when a phone started ringing. It startled me and quickly woke Jack who was cuddled close to me.

I patted my bedside table furiously trying to find the softly curved familiar shape of the telephone.

On the second ring I answered.

"Hello?" I sounded groggy and course.

"Liv" Finn's voice erupted from the phone and I flinched holding it further away.

He sounded hurried.

Jack was watching me through the darkness for a while and then, uninterested and tired, rolled over facing the other wall and pulled the blankets up around himself tight.

"What's wrong Finn?" And then I thought back to never hearing him come home last night.

"And where are you?" I quickly added.

"I'm at the airport Liv."

I stayed quiet, scared of what I think he'd say. Finn was going to leave me.

"I'm leaving here and you are coming with me,"

I tried to disguise my instant relief at him forgiving my angry words I had left him with hours before in the park. I wanted him.

"What happened? What's wrong?"

"You were right Liv. I was the reason my mum's gone."

I breathed gently but my mind raced at the meaning of what he was saying.

"What have you done, Finn?" I whispered into the phone.

"I told her that she needed to break the agreement or I'll divulge some information surrounding some of her risky business deals to the police,"

Finn sighed recalling the events of only a week before.

"And then she wasn't there the next morning,"

"You blackmailed your mum" I spoke without judgement but firmly.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, even if I had suspected it.

"So I could be with you!" Finn reasoned desperately.

"Then why are we" I corrected myself swiftly, "I mean you, running away?"

I heard another long sigh down the phone.

"They're after me Liv,"

"Who?"

He took another moment to reply.

"My Mum's mixed up in some pretty heavy business Liv and I think I've just become a liability,"

Though he was hiding it well, I felt his voice break a little and his breaths become inconsistent. He was scared.

"She's not going to go after her own son, Finn."

"Can you just please," Finn snapped and then held his harsh tone so that he could calm himself. "just trust me, Liv"

"You want me to follow you while you run away from these delusions?"

Finn's voice rushed words down the phone, hurried and frightened.

"I keep getting calls, Liv and then all I hear down the line is long heavy breaths, followed quickly by hanging up,"

He quickly added more, trying to convince me, persuade me that this paranoia wasn't a delusion.

"And three times now, as I'm driving doing errands I'll see black trucks like crows, shadowing me,"

"But they didn't follow me here, Liv" He sounded optimistic.

"This is our chance, probably our last, to escape"

He sounded crazy, completely.

And there was a long pause, while I decided that the right, and only answer to his plan was a firm and unwavering no.

"Not unless we take Jack," I mumbled, regretting what I said as soon as it came out.

If Finn was truly in danger, then Jack would be in the line of fire too.

A loud sigh of relief came down the phone.

"You and Jack need to be at the airport in twenty minutes, fuck packing just get yourselves here."

"What about Andy, what about my parents? What about..."

Finn abruptly interrupted and I heard a woman over the intercom.

"Well think about that later, right now you need to be here."

Finn hung up.

I put down the phone and it was very quiet in our bedroom for a long second.

"Jack, wake up, there's no time but we need to go,"