Just Because...

Jason

"Have you brought your prom tickets yet?" Amber asked and I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

No.

"Yes." I lied to get her off my back.

"Oh good, who are you going with?" She asked and I let out a sigh.

"You don't know her." I told her.

Because she doesn't exist and because I'm not going to prom.

"You're not going to prom are you?" She asked.

"You caught me." I replied.

"Why not?"

"Leave me alone Amber." I sighed.

"We should go together." She offered.

Absolutely not.

"We should not." I replied.

"Why not?" She asked and I gave her an annoyed look.

Because I can barely tolerate you.

"You're annoying and you're a terrible dancer." I explained and she scoffed in surprise.

"Sorry." I apologized.

"I just can't believe you called me a terrible dancer." She smiled and I relaxed a little.

"I had to ice my feet after that Winter Ball you dragged me to last year." I teased and she scoffed.

"You did not!"

"I did, ballroom dancing isn't your strongest suit." I teased and she gasped.

"You're mean."

"I'm not denying it." I smiled a little and she grinned.

"What?"

"You're smiling." She pointed out and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm leaving."

"Bye, but I still made you smile." She winked before walking away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No." I replied into the phone for the umpteenth time.

"It's not up for negotiation. You're coming to dinner tomorrow night." My father ordered.

"No I am not." I replied.

"You're coming even if I have to drag you there myself." He threatened and I almost laughed.

"You're trying to threaten me into talking to mom?" I asked. "Well, go ahead and try because it's really not happening." I told him before hanging up.

Within seconds he was calling again but I pressed ignore and returned to my homework.

Right when I was getting back into the flow of homework, there was a sharp knock on my door and I let out a sigh before standing up to get it.

Annoyed, I opened the door wide and revealed a crying Casey.

"Woah."

"I can't find Beastly." She sobbed and I looked at her with wide eyes.

"What do you mean?"

"I went out to buy food and I guess I left the door open." She sobbed and I fought the urge to pull her into my arms to calm her down.