Twenty Three

"Guess what?" Jason asked and I looked up from my calculus homework.

This morning, he walked in here while I was doing my chemistry homework and I didn't object to him staying.

"I'm still connected to the school's sound system from when I played Tyler's song." He replied with a smile and my eyes lit up.

"Will you please blast Hollaback Girl?" I asked with a smiled and he nodded.

"The second the bell rings." He replied and I returned to my homework.

His phone chiming with multiple text messages caught my attention and he let out a sigh.

"Sorry, my dad has been on my ass all day." He stated before putting his phone on silent.

"Maybe you should answer him?" I frowned and he shook his head.

"No, my father can't get his way all the time."

I let out an internal sigh and returned to my homework.

I want to say something.

"What?" Jason asked and I looked up at him with a raised eyebrow.

"What do you want to say?" He asked and I bit my lip contemplating my options.

"You'll never know what he wants until you answer him." I shrugged and he let out a sigh.

"He doesn't want anything, he wants me to speak to my mother." He replied and I cleared my throat.

Oh.

"Can I ask something else?" I asked.

"Sure, but I probably won't like it." He replied.

"Don't you want to know why she left?" I asked and he ran his hands through his hair.

"No." He replied.

"Why?"

"Because, there's no good enough reason to leave your family behind." He replied and I nodded.

"That's what I said too." I told him and he frowned. "When my mom went on her 'cruise' after my dad died. I thought she just abandoned me.  In reality she went so she could get better and stronger to take care of me." I replied and he shook his head.

"We're not on the same boat here, Casey."

"I know, I was just giving you an example. Maybe your mom left beca-"

"Stop it." He interpreted and I bit my tongue in frustration.

"Fine." I answered through gritted teeth before returning to my homework.

"I just remember that night in New York.  You said that you just wanted to know why she left." I shrugged.

***

"So, why are you at this game again?" Maddie asked and I let out a sigh.

"Because, Jason invited me to hang out with him and Lizzie afterwards." I replied and she grinned.