Chapter 23

We hear a sound. "What is that?" Hermione asks.

"I don't know. Sounds like wings." Harry responds. We enter into a room filled with golden birds. Though I don't think those are birds.

"Curious. I've never seen birds like these." Hermione states.

"They're not birds, they're keys. And I'll bet one of them fits that door." Harry tells us. We look over and see a broomstick, suspended in the air.

"What's this all about?" Hermione questions.

"I don't know. Strange." Harry replies.

Ron walks away from us. "Alohomora!" I hear Ron say, I look and see he's found a door. We walk over to it. Ron just shrugs, "Well, it was worth a try." Ron tells us.

"Ugh! What're we going to do? There must be 1000 keys up there!" Hermione says, getting frustrated.

"We're looking for a big old fashioned one. Probably rusty like the handle." Ron tells us.

"There! I see it! The one with the broken wing!"Harry says pointing at it. He then looks at the broom.

"What's wrong, Harry?" I ask him, confused.

"It's too simple." Harry tells us.

"Oh, go on, Harry! If Snape can catch it on that old broomstick, you can! You're the youngest seeker in a century!" Ron says, causing me to roll my eyes.

Harry nods and grabs the broom. All the keys suddenly go one direction, right at Harry. He climbs on the broom, swiping at them.

"This complicates things a bit!" Ron says.

Harry pushes off into the air. He flies off, after the key. The others follow him. He keeps flying around trying to dodge them as he reaches for the key, then Harry grabs the key. "Catch the key!" Harry yells at us. He zooms by and throws the key to us, I catch it and head for the lock while Harry distracts the other keys. I put it in the lock.

"Hurry up!" Ron rushes me. I open it, and Hermione, Ron, and I rush through, followed by Harry. We shut the door just as the keys slam up against it. We all let out a sigh.

~~

We enter a dark room, with broken things all around it. "I don't have a good feeling about this." I say to them.

"I don't like this. I don't like this at all." Hermione says.

"Where are we? A graveyard." Harry questions.

"This is no graveyard. It's a chessboard. " Ron says. He walks out onto the marble board and flames light up, illuminating the board and giant pieces. Harry, Hermione, and I come up with him.

"There's the door." I tell them, point to the door at the other side of the room. We walk across the board, towards the door. Suddenly, as we reach a line of pawns, the pawns bring up their swords blocking our way. All of us jump and back up.

"Now what do we do?" Hermione asks us.

"It's obvious, isn't it? We've got to play our way across the room. All right. Harry, you take the Bishop's square. Hermione, you'll be the Queen's side castle. Rose, you be the Queen. As for me, I'll be a knight." Ron directs us, we all go to the places we have to go.

"What happens now?" Hermione questions when nothing happens after a minute.

"Well, white moves first, and then...we play." Ron tells us from his position on top of the horse. A pawn on the other side moves forward. Ron studies the game board.

"Ron, you don't suppose this is going to be like real wizard's chess, do you?" I question, a chill going down my spine dreading to know the answer.

Ron looks thoughtful for a second. "You there! D-5!" Ron says to the pawn. The pawn moves forward, diagonal to the white pawn. The white pawn raises its swords and smashes the black one. All of jump. "Yes, Rose, I think this is going to be exactly like wizard's chess!" Ron tells me with a scared look on his face.

The game continues. Pieces smash each other.

Continuous commands by Ron. "Castle to E-4!" Smash! "Pawn to C-3!" He commands like they could be herd. Smash! Boom! A lot of pieces get destroyed. The Queen turns, and smashes another piece! Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I flinch. The Queen turns again.

"Wait a minute." Harry says all of a sudden. I look over at him confused.

"You understand right, Harry. Once I make my move, the Queen will take me...then you'll be free to check the King." Ron tells Harry.

"No, Ron! No!" Harry shouts.

I analyze the bored then realize what Ron was planing. "Ron! Are you Insane!" I shout at him.

"What is it?" Hermione asks us confused.

"He's going to sacrifice himself!"Harry tells her.

"No, Ron, you can't! There must be another way!" Hermione tells him.

Ron turns to face Hermione. "Do you want to stop Snape or not? Harry, it's you that has to go on. Even Rose needs to go with you, cause if it is Snape she can help you best. I know it. Not me, not Hermione, you and Rose... Knight...to H-3." Ron tells us. Ron's horse moves forward, slides and stops. "Check."Ron says as he stops near the Queen.

The Queen turns and advances. Ron breathes faster, clutching the steel reins. The Queen stops. A SMASH! Could be heard echoing through out the room. Ron goes flying off the horse and lands on the floor, unconscious.

"RON!" Harry shouts. Hermione starts to take a step out of her square to walk to him. "NO! Don't move! Don't forget, we're still playing."Harry stops her just in time. Hermione moves back. Harry walks the diagonal in front of the King. "Checkmate." Harry says. The Kings sword falls onto the ground. Harry breathes out and then the three of us run to Ron. We kneel beside him. "Take care of Ron. Then, go to the owlery. Send a message to Dumbledore. Ron's right...I have to go on." Harry tells us.

"Harry are you sure, Ron did say I should go with you." I question him.

"Stay here Rose." Harry tells me.

"You'll be okay, Harry. You're a great wizard, you really are." Hermione tells Harry.

"Not as good as you." Harry tells her.

Hermione smiles "Me? Books and cleverness? There are more important things. Friendship, and bravery. And Harry, just be careful." Hermione tells him. Harry nods and stands, walking away.

Once he left the room I look back at Ron. "He truly is a Gryffindor." I tell Hermione.

"Yeah, he is... Rose, go.. follow Harry. He'll need you.." she tells me.

"But, what about Ron?" I ask her.

"I've got him. Just go." Hermione tells me.

I nod, a head in the direction that Harry went to.

____________________
Hope you enjoy sorry for the delay I've been working on the next book!
Vote
Comment
Share
Lots of luv~ snowflake