Chapter Six

This year is slightly different then before. This year because of the first years, I finally got a roommate! A lovely girl by the name of Luna Lovegood! She's different from the other ravenclaw girls, she was more soft spoken, and not always reading books, no, was she reading a magazine I hadn't heard of before, 'The Quibbler'. We got to know each other, she told me that it was her father's magazine and then gave me a copy. She was truly an interesting girl.

---

The first class was Herbology, it seems that this year they've decided to have more mix classes. Some Slytherins, Gryfindor, and Hufflepuffs were here. Harry and Ron enter as was quickly swarmed by other Gryffindors. Seamus, Neville getting right up in their personal space.

"Detention. On the first day?" Neville asks the two boys astonished.

"That must be some kind of record." Seamus says amazed.

"Don't encourage them." I tell him with a nudge, and he nudges back with a shrug afterwards.

"I should think you'd count yourself lucky that's all you got" Hermione scolds them alongside me.

"I should think you'd mind your own business." Ron sasses her. Causing them to glare at each other.

Professor Sprout walks in and magically has pots placed in front of us.

"Welcome to Greenhouse Three, Second Years. Today, we will be repotting Mandrakes. Now, who here can tell me the properties of the Mandrake?" Professor Sprout asks the class.

Hermione raises her hand up quickly before I do, "Yes, Miss Granger." Professor Sprout says, after looking between us.

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been transfigured to their original state. It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it." Hermione says in her very textbook fashion.

Professor Sprout looks excited by Hermione's response, "Excellent. Ten points to Gryffindor. As our Mandrakes are only seedlings, their cries won't kill yet. However, they will knock you out for several hours. That is why I have provided each of you with a pair of earmuffs. If you would then... " She explains to us, gesturing for us to put on the earmuffs.

I grab my pair of light brown earmuffs, I go to put it on but Ron looks at me and silently pleading with me to trade with him, I look at his bright pink ones and laugh, and shake my head no before placing mine on. Ron frowns and places the pink earmuffs on with a frown.

Once the class was ready, Professor Sprout led us to the sort of garden area. She then grasps one of the plants before her and pulls it out of the ground. Some of the class lets out a gasp in surprise, Harry being one of them. Instead of roots, as I'm assuming most of them had expected, a small, muddy, extremely ugly baby like root creature pops out of the earth, leaves growing right out of its head. The Mandrake was letting out a loud cry and all of us had to put our hands over our earmuffs to try and block out the noise.

Neville's then faints. Professor Sprout quickly puts the Mandrake into a deep pot and covers it in dirt stopping the loud cries, She removes her earmuffs, and we all follow suit. Everyone stood staring at the fainted Neville, who lies stretched on the ground.

"Hmm. Looks as though Mr. Longbottom neglected his muffs. "Professor Sprout comments.

"No, ma'am. He's just fainted." Seamus explains to her.

"Very well. We'll just leave him then. Come now. Four to a tray ,plenty of pots to go round..." Professor Sprout tells us to get back to class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~