51.

My alarm going off at seven o'clock the next morning wasn't the only thing that startled me, Charlie laying beside me in bed winced at more pains in his chest.

"Charlie, are you okay?" I asked

"They'll pass in a minute," he nodded.

"Should I phone for an ambulance?"

"No!"

"At least the doctor?"

"I said no, they'll pass!"

"Ok, do you want a cup of tea in the meantime then?" I snapped back.

"I'm sorry, please just sit with me," he sighed reaching for my hand.

"I can't just sit here, you're in pain."

"I'll be fine in a minute, they're starting to ease," he said taking deep breaths.

"This isn't right, the doctors should have given you something."

"Babe, stop stressing about these hospital appointments."

"Hmm," I mumbled.

Reaching for my phone I climbed out of bed to get ready for another day at work, I have so much to do this weekend doesn't even seem close!

"I wish I could say that's it for today," Charlie moaned with his hand still on his chest.

"What?"

"The first pain seems to strike off more throughout the day."

"Oh, are you going to be alright?"

"I'll be fine, I just need to rest."

"What if you need something?"

"Aston's here isn't he?"

"He's too unreliable. I'll have to stay at home."

"No, you've got more than enough to do in the office this week."

"I'll ask Sarah to email me everything to my laptop, I can work from here. It will be fine."

"Well if you're sure," he smiled weakly.

"I can't let you fend for yourself like this."

"Thanks babe."

Covered up in my gown I took my phone with me as I left the room to make a phone call, It might not go down well with the girls considering we've never been allowed to work from home before when we've asked but if I think of a good enough excuse I should just about get away with it.

"Morning," Aston spoke from behind.

"Thanks Sarah, see you tomorrow," I said swinging around to face him still on the phone.

"Sorry, I didn't realise," Aston said.

"It's alright, I'm done now."

"Are you not going to work?"

"No, Charlie needs me here. I'm working from my laptop."

"Oh right."

"I'm making some coffee, do you want one?" I asked.

"No I'm alright, thanks."

I can only guess Aston is jobless considering his late mornings, if I was his boss he would have been sacked ages ago so it wouldn't surprise me. He's right when he says things have changed, we don't tell each other anything anymore, we hardly have the chance to talk properly never mind anything else. Charlie has come between us, but then there's valid reasons and it doesn't have to be as hard as it is.