gumi nembiri

MAVANGA |
BRUISES

"AMIRA? WHEN were you going to tell me that I was being tutored by Mr Im again?" Amina pushed open her front door. She stopped and smiled slightly upon seeing her older sister covered head to toe in flour.

"No 'Hi, big sis, how are you?' or 'Hey, Mira, why are you baking this important cake?'?" the older girl grinned and kissed Amina's forehead instead of the usual hug she gave since she didn't want to get her little sister dirty.

"Sorry, hello Mira but tutoring? Seriously?"

Amira sighed. "I know you're top of your class but he convinced me somehow. And your deteriorating grades sure helped me agree," the older girl raised an eyebrow accusingly. "Is it Jackson? Because I love that boy to pieces but he gets attached very easily. And if he's distracting you, Lord help him because I'll—"

"It's not Jackson at all. Can we change the subject now that you've answered my previous question?"

"Go ahead." Amira put a little bit too much something (Amina couldn't tell what it was because the packet was doused in flour) into the bowl and continued to stab the damn batter.

Amina gestured to the mess. "Why?"

"I'm practicing. Aminé's coming over soon, you know? And I'm going to be showing his bummy ass that I can actually bake something other than this masterpiece," she gestured to her made up face.

Aminé's food was heaven on earth; Amira couldn't beat him if she tried. The girl was in her late twenties yet she could barely boil water.

Amina nodded as she slid onto the barstool that faced her perky sister.

The girl's eyes looked to the mirror that could be seen across the kitchen and she scrambled to her feet faster than she knew she was capable of doing.

"I'm aware. Is the family coming too?" Amina side stepped towards the hallway, fingers awkwardly grazing her neck as if she was itchy.

"Yes..." her sister turned upon the sudden burst of words from her youngest sibling. "Amina, what are you up to?"

The girl simply shook her head and continued to speed walk up the stairs. "Nothing. See you later at dinner!"

She closed her door shut and made a beeline to the reflection staring at her through her vanity mirror.

She had purple marks blooming along her neck. Brilliant.

-
CAST ADDITION!

Claudette Ortiz is Amira Zachary