makumi maviri nenomwe

KUVAZVIDZA |
CONTEMPTUOUS

"DON'T PATRONIZE me, Jaebum. I'm not a toddler that can be distracted by..." Amina's voice slowed as Jaebum waved some sort of coloring book past the frowning girl's eyes. "—What are you doing?"

"Since you work so well while I'm tutoring you and I tend to give you the harder stuff, you can use this to relax during breaks."

Amina kept quiet and glared at Jaebum. Then the book. Then Jaebum. Then the book again.

She sighed and took the book. She hated that he knew what she liked.

"Thank you," she mumbled, flicking through the thick pages with an abundance of spaces that weren't occupied by color. "I'm still mad at you and I'm not a baby that can be bribed."

"Mm hmm, okay," he chuckled as she pulled out a miniature case of markers from her bag and knelt by the coffee table to fill blank spots with different shades of green.

Amina leaned over and rested her head on the inside of her outstretched arm and hummed, getting distracted just as she said she would not.

After gazing at her in admiration for a few more minutes, Jaebum rose to his feet upon hearing the doorbell chime throughout the living room.

Amina tore her focus from the book and looked to the door. "Who's that?"

Jaebum made his way to the door, turning to wave off the response he should give her. "Don't move, let me check."

Amina ignored him and stood slowly.

"Amina, sit. Don't disregard my wishes, darling," Jaebum pointed to the couch and Amina huffed and slid onto the beige carpet that matched the mid autumn toned decor around the apartment instead. "Good girl."

She kneeled down and bent over the table to color again. Though she was mad, Amina didn't color in anger as she enjoyed looking at clean work far more than scribbles done in frustration. The younger girl's tongue stuck to her top row of front teeth as she worked in concentration.

Amina heard voices chatter. They were muffled both by the distance of the living room to the hallway and the fact that Jaebum stood outside the door which stopped Amina from seeing anything through the slit he left.

The voice was male and she wondered if it was the guy from the bus a few days ago.

Jaebum had told him to come over 'one of these days' when they reunited that evening and Amina wondered why he needed to be told to hang out more often if he was a close friend of his.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Jaebum walking back into the living room with a slight smile on his face.

"Show me what you did, darling," he squatted next to her and rubbed her back and she turned the book to his eyes at a more clear angle. "That's really good. I now understand why you sketch in the back of your math book. Stop that by the way; I get in trouble for it," he chuckled.

"Why, thank you," she beamed, proud of her doing and the kiss Jaebum planted on her forehead. "I'm still not a baby," she clarified.

"I know," Jaebum stood, after stroking her curls. "Since you're here often, I figured it would be nice if you knew my friend who also comes here often. Sometimes too often."

"Wow, thanks a lot, man."

"Shut up," Jaebum chuckled. "Amina, you remember Mark, don't you?"