makumi mashanu nenhanhatu

KUEDZA |
EFFORTS

AMINA STOOD at the door of Jaebum's home and she hovered her knuckles over his door.

She quickly retracted her fist upon hearing a deep voice snap. Did Jaebum hear her approaching his door and was already prepared to yell at her? Because if so, things wouldn't be looking good... For him.

"Listen, she probably knows now. Are you fucking happy?" Jaebum spat down the line. He stared angrily at the cup of diluted alcohol before him. He wasn't even half as drunk enough to forget what he just did.

Much to the man's utter dismay, he heard the voice chuckle back. "I'll be happy now that I know my sister won't be with someone like you."

Amina leaned against the door with her hands on her hips. Was that Aminé's voice she heard over the phone?

Why would Aminé try to sabotage her and Jaebum's relationship? What had it to do with him?

Amina silently cussed at herself. Now she felt bad for getting mad at Jaebum because of Aminé.

As she swiftly turned down the corridor and jogged down the long flight of stairs, she bit onto a nail on her shaking hand and pulled open the car door. Amina Zachary was pissed off.

Aminé fumbled with the phone in his hand and kissed his teeth down the line before cutting the call short. "Was he home?"

"Drive," she started and turned to buckle her seatbelt. "And yes, he was."

"What's with you?" Aminé chuckled lightly with raised brows. "Do you still want me and Khan to go—"

"Why did you threaten Jaebum with me?" Amina said blankly. Her fingers locked with each other and rested on her knee as she waited in anticipation for Aminé's half-assed response. "Haven't I told you to not mess with who I go out with?"

"Mina," Aminé sighed. "Look, I don't know what he's told you but he is in the wrong. That is all I'm going to say and hopefully he tells you the truth someday."

"Aminé, I know you're trying but the threats you've been making? The fight you almost had with Jaebum at the bar? You hanging out with Khan again—Seriously? You just asked if you and Khan could do something? Fucking Khan? It's like you're..."

Aminé put his forehead on the wheel. "Don't say it, okay?"

"It's true! It's like you're falling into your old ways! Amira and mama and baba paid so damn much for you to go to school and your risking hanging out with your old friends because of Jaebum?" Amina asked. "The same friend that terrifies Mira because of the disgusting sexual passes he makes at her? How can you allow that guy near her? Those are the type of people you should be worried about! Not. Jaebum. Set your fucking priorities straight, Ami."

Aminé kept his lips in a tight scowl as he drove them home wordlessly to refrain from saying something he would regret to his baby sister.

"I'm just looking out for you because you and Mira are the only people that I love. And I didn't know that about Khan. He's gone, I promise."

"Thank you but Ami," Amina sighed. "You know we love you too so just... Consider what you're doing. Because I'm not going anywhere and Amira's not going anywhere. So please let me and Jaebum talk this out ourselves. Whether the outcome's good or bad, I need to live with it, not you, okay?"

He nodded, his face softening upon hearing his sister's words. He couldn't baby her forever. "I will. I'm sorry."