makumi matatu nesere

SAREGEREREKA |
INTOLERABLE

AMINA SLOTTED her hands into the warm pockets of Jackson's varsity jacket as she dragged herself sluggishly beside her best friend.

She was still incredibly tired and it showed with the amount of yawning she did every five minutes.

"What's up?" she nudged Jackson's as they passed the playground they used to play in almost every single day.

Jackson didn't seem to acknowledge them walking down memory lane, his straight face making his concentration evident.

Jackson stopped moving suddenly and turned to face Amina. "You lied to me."

Amina's eyes widened slightly and her eyebrows furrowed. "About?" she posed carefully. Maybe it wasn't about Jaebum. Maybe he was talking about something else. But what else could she had possibly lied about instead? She told Jackson almost too much.

"This Jay guy," Jackson began. "I talked to one of my friends at NCU and he said there isn't a guy called Jay who's in our year currently. There's one that got expelled for drug use but I know you wouldn't date someone like that."

Amina crossed her arms with a faux insulted look upon her face. "You didn't believe me to the extent you went and did research?"

"Well, wasn't I right to?" Jackson stepped towards her, his shoes making the dried leaves beneath them crunch.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Listen, you've been acting really off recently. When I sleep over, you're up smiling at text messages at 3am; when I hug you in school, you push me off; when I ask if you wanna go out to eat, you tell me you're at this imaginary Jay's house so what's going on?"

Amina took a cautious step back and planned on walking away but Jackson pulled her back to him and held her by the shoulders. "Jackson, if you don't fucking let me go, I swear!"

"Not until you tell me what's going on!" Jackson yelled back. He paused soon after and sighed. "Amina, I just care about you. You're like my big sister, you know that. If you're in trouble... Please just tell me. I can try and help."

"Jackson, I can't. I'm not in trouble but— Just... Not right now, I promise I will tell you later."

Jackson let his arms fall from her shoulders and fall by his sides. He shook his head and chuckled ludicrously. "I guess you really don't value our friendship, Mina."

"Don't be like this, Jack," Amina rubbed her temples, feeling close to tears but more irritated than anything.

"Be like what? A friend that cares about someone so careless? Oh no, sue me!"

"Jackson—" Amina felt her round eyes well up at the sight of Jackson's go red.

The angered boy cut her off, pinching the bridge of his nose as he spun on his heel. Anything so he didn't look her in the eye and allow tears to actually fall. "You know what? Fuck you. Fuck you. I've tried to talk to you but you just don't want me to. And I'm done. I'm fucking done because you're being just being an—"

"Jackson, I'm dating Mr Im," Amina spoke with her chest heaving from her emotions.

Jackson slowly faced her once again. "Intolerable little— What?" he whispered in disbelief.

"Jaebum. I'm with Jaebum Im."