Part 10

I splashed my face with cold water, staring at myself in the small mirror above the sink. I looked so much different than I did before the world changed; not because I had physically changed, but because I mentally changed. This world has turned me, and everyone else I know, into something that we weren't before. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I'll probably never know.

I backed away from the mirror, peering out the bathroom door as I heard a knock.
A woman with short black hair peaked her head in until she saw me, continuing to walk the rest of the way into the room.

"Uh, hi?" I said confused until I saw the food she was hold in her hand; finally.
She just nodded in response, placing the tray of food on the end of the bed before walking back to the door.

"Um, wait," I muttered, causing her to stop but not turn around, "Could you please tell me what time it is? I'm so confused.."

She let out a sigh, "It's a little after 6pm, I think."

I nodded, walking over to the food that was left, "Thank you."

She continued out the door but suddenly stopped, turning and whispering to me, "Hey um," she paused, crossing her arms, "Did Negan say anything to you.. or did you say anything to him? Like, anything to bother him?"

I swallowed hard and squinted at her, wondering why she'd think I'd have anything to do with him, "No.. why?"

She shook her head lightly, "A few hours ago he just- its like he went on some sort of rampage.." She spoke lowly, "He killed 3 guys and- and one of his wives.. then he just left."

My heart sank at what I'd just heard, but my mind couldn't shake one of the details, "3 guys? You don't know which guys do you?"

She sighed, "I shouldn't be talking to you.." she turned to open the door again before I sprung up and stopped her, pushing her body up against it.

She looked at me in surprise, her face washed over with fear, "Please, just tell me who the guys were!"

"I- I don't, I don't know! They were just workers, they'd been here for a while but I don't know anything about them." She stuttered, causing me to loosen my grip after I heard her answer.

"I, I'm so sorry." I said stepping back, "I was just afraid that it could've been someone I knew."

She was obviously a bit shaken up but nodded, quickly slipping out the door.

I sighed, sitting back down on the bed, picking at the food I was given.
I hated going off on people; scaring them or hurting them. I didn't like feeling like the bad guy or having people be afraid of me, I rather them like me than fear me.

I laughed at how different Negan and I were until my laugher quickly halted, my brain remembering something that could mean the difference between life or death.

The door; the lock didn't click when that woman left. She must have been in too much shock to remember to lock it.
I quickly got up, darting over to the door and placing my ear on it, seeing if I could hear anything on the other side.
Silence.
I took a deep breath, turning the door handle as slow as I could to prevent it from making too much noise.
It's unlocked.. it's open.
I peered my head out; no one was out there and not a sound could be heard.

I let out the breath that I'd been holding, closing the door, knowing that right now was not the time to be running around the halls.
If Negan came back while I was out and found me, I'm sure he wouldn't hesitate to kill me right on the spot if he's in the mood that girl said he was in.

If it's 6pm right now, then everyone should be heading to their rooms soon, leaving the halls empty. As long as no one comes to my room in the next few hours, this plan should be good to go.

I needed to find Daryl and find a way out of this place, even if it meant having to leave the state until we could find out a better plan.

I had to do this.