Part 27

I followed behind Negan as we walked into a large open area filled with people who quickly began to kneel as they noticed us.

He placed his hand on my lower back, guiding me towards tables of food, "Take what you want, darling."

I looked around myself, confused as to why everyone was on the ground, before taking an apple and a bottle of water.

"That it?" He asked, looking at the items in my hand.

I shrugged, "Yeah."

He chuckled in response, "Well ok, lets go then."

We left the room and soon went through the doors that Daryl and I had reached when we failed to escape this place.
When they opened, my eyes met with multiple people I didn't know, and a few I did; Dwight being one of them.. Daryl being another, but I couldn't bring myself to look at him.

"Alright, load up!" Negan yelled, snapping me out of my thoughts before guiding me over to the passenger side of a large truck.
I hesitantly got in, almost wondering if all of this wasn't the best idea.

The roaring of engines quickly filled the space around us as all of the trucks began down the road, Negan's leading the way.

"Hey," Negan snapped his fingers, getting my attention before pointing at the apple I'd grabbed, "Eat."

I sighed, taking a bite of it as I tried to push away all of the thoughts that were intruding my mind.

"Why did they kneel; all of your people?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"That's what happens when you're a strong leader," he chuckled, "People respect you and those who don't, well, you don't need respect from the dead."

I nodded, now understanding that it wasn't just Negan's wives that were terrified of him.. everyone was.

"Why's Daryl coming?" I asked quietly.

"Because he's made the decision that he wants to work for points, darling, which means he's going to have to work hard to stay alive now." Negan explained.

"You won't-" I sighed, "You wont hurt him though, will you?"

He glanced over to me, eyebrows furrowed, "And why does that fucking matter to you? Did you already forget everything he said?"

"He's still family, Negan." I murmured, biting into my apple again.

He chuckled, shaking his head, "It's not up to me anymore, it's up to him; if he earns enough points, he gets to keep breathing. Simple as shit."

"He's not like you.. he's not like any of your men; he doesn't take orders well." I explained.

"Not this shit again, Elizabeth." He groaned.

"He's not gonna kneel to you."

"Then I guess he fucking dies, doesn't he? Is that what you're trying to tell me?" He asked obviously annoyed, "That you want me to just give up on him now and bash his fucking skull into the ground right on the side of the road? Because I'll do it, honey!"

"No, Negan!" I yelled upset, "I just- I'm-"

"Come on, spit it out! Lucille's impatient and she wants to know the answer!"

"I'm sorry! Just forget I said anything!" I shakily say, throwing my hands over my face as tears threaten to spill out.

Negan scoffed, "You better change your fucking attitude by the time we get there or shits not gonna be pretty, darling."