Part 59

I quickly wiped my eyes, nodding as Daryl asked if I was ok to go.
He then took my hand as we began following closely behind Jesus, unsure of what we'd come face to face with in the next few seconds.

My heart nearly stopped as I shifted my view from the ground to the group of people now standing in front of us, inside the walls of the Hilltop.

I let go of Daryl's hand; both my hands now covering my mouth in shock, trying to prevent more emotions from flooding out as Rick noticed us standing just a few yards from where he stood, hugging Maggie.

As Rick quickly began making his way towards us, I stepped back to where Jesus stood, knowing that Daryl and Rick both needed this moment together.

The silence surrounding our small group was peaceful as both men stared at each other, their tough exteriors crumbling to the ground until nothing was left but love and appreciation. They then both embraced each other in a long awaited hug that could bring tears to even the strongest of people.
My heart, that had been breaking piece by piece from the past tragic events, was now slowly being mended back together.
In this moment, all problems and negativity within the group, were crushed, and the love that many of us desperately needed, was restored.

As soon as Daryl and Rick's hug ended, Rick quickly made his way to me; his firm grip around my body radiating love.
There were times when I thought I'd never be able to see these people again, but here we all were.. and now, I no longer felt the need to hold back the tears that were waiting to burst out; I felt like I was home.

Rick pulled back slightly, studying my face as an emotion-filled smile appeared on his. He pulled me back in for another quick hug before kissing the top of my head and sending me off to the rest of the group, who were all also reuniting with each other.

My tear filled eyes immediately locked with Rosita's; a mix of emotions painted on her face.
I swear we couldn't have gotten to each other fast enough as our bodies collided, but I cut our hug short as I noticed the stitches on her face.

She shook her head, "We can talk about it later."

I sighed, nodding in response before I noticed Carl out of the corner of my eye; a wave of relief running over my body.
I quickly made my way over to him, wrapping my arms around him and wanting to breakdown again.

Maybe Negan isn't as terrible as we all make him out to be-- he brought Carl back safe, like he said he would, even after what he did to his men.

As I continued reconnecting with the people I loved, I looked back over to where Daryl and Rick stood, face to face, once again.
Daryl then pulled out the gun he had taken off of Joey and held it out for Rick to have; Rick only hesitating for a second before taking the Python.

He inspected the gun before turning back to us, his power as a leader now restored as he gave us all a small nod-- a nod that was so simple, but said so much.

And with that, it was time to finish what we started.

The End.

_____
I honestly cannot believe For The Ones I Love is finished, but I'm so excited for what it's started.

Like I said before, if you didn't know, a prequel for this book will be coming out sooner than you think-- in the next few days. It'll focus on Liz and her relationship with Daryl and other members of the group.
Be sure to keep an eye out on this book because I'll be updating it one last time when the first chapter of the prequel is out.

Thank you so so much for your support and hopefully your continued support with the upcoming fanfics.

If you have any questions at all about this book or the prequel and sequel, feel free to ask them!