Part 58

Daryl let out a heavy sigh, "I didn't want to-- I didn't want him to hurt you. "

"You sure sounded pretty damn convincing, though." I scoffed, trying to hide the emotion in my voice.

"I had to, Liz-"

"And I had to do what I had to do Daryl, to protect you just like we've been doing since the very beginning! You've been my world ever since I met you and I knew I was never yours but I still did whatever I could to keep you safe because I've always been so in love with you, and not once have I ever tried to make you love me back because I know that's just not something you can do." I struggled to get out, my voice getting weaker as I continued, "But hearing you say the exact opposite of what I always dreamed you'd say, broke my fucking heart and you act like you don't even care... so don't pretend like what I did was the worst thing in the world after what you did."

Daryl stayed silent as my emotion filled rant came to an end; my sniffles now being the only sound in the room.

"I'd take it all back, Daryl-- everything I did with Negan.. I'd take it all back in a heartbeat if I could." I spoke quietly.

He leaned up against the wall, his arms crossed, "I'd take back what I said to ya.. 'cause I still care 'bout ya."

I nodded slightly, unsure of how to reply to his openness; a side I knew was hard for him to show.

I bit at the inside of my cheek, "Do you think we'll ever go back to how we used to be?"

He shook his head, delaying his response, "No."

I nodded again, not trusting my voice to speak as I felt my heart drop to my stomach; his answer being what I dreaded the most. If I would have known what giving in completely to Negan meant and what it would do to my relationship with Daryl, I would have never done it. He was the one person I could trust without question, because I knew he'd do anything to protect me, and the thought of losing someone like that in my life.. it scared me.

"But that don't mean I don't want ya anymore," he continued, "'Cause I'll never stop caring 'bout ya."

Tears instantly flooded over the brim of my lashes at his words; relieved tears.
I quickly made my way over to him, desperate for his touch as his strong arms pulled me into his chest; a feeling of safety pulsing through me that I greatly missed.
I didn't know what this meant for Daryl and I's relationship, whether we were still together or starting back at square one, I was just thankful to be in his arms again.

He rubbed his hand over my back as I continued to sob into his chest, "I'm- I'm so sorry."

"We don't need to talk 'bout it no more." He hushed me, kissing the top of my head.

"I just-"

"Sasha! Enid!" Maggie's voice from outside cut me off, catching both of our attentions.

Immediately, the door to the trailer we were in opened up, Jesus standing on the other side.

"You guys are gonna wanna come out here." He smiled softly.

_____
'For The Ones I Love' is coming to an end and it's so bittersweet as the writer. At one side, I'm glad that I'm about to complete this story and that so many of you enjoyed it, and at the other side, I'm sad that it's over.. like this is basically it. It's like raising a kid and then sending it off to college; I feel like I'm almost losing something.

But with that being said! Keep a very close eye on this book and on my account because the prequel to this story is coming out VERY soon.

In the prequel, you'll learn how Liz got introduced to Rick's group, how all of her relationships with each of the groups members are, and how Daryl and her got involved (which includes a fair amount of drama).
Many things from this story and the prequel will connect which should be fun for those of you who like to put 2 and 2 together; it's kinda like a puzzle that you're getting all the missing pieces to finally.

And then, while chapters for the prequel are coming out, I'll keep you updated on when the sequel to For The Ones I Love will be coming out.

I really really hope you guys have been enjoying this book, I've had an amazing time writing it and I'm excited to see your reaction to the new books!