Part 54

I sat on the bed in Negan's room, still hoping that all of this could just be apart of some terrible dream, but knowing that was just wishful thinking.

I wondered how everything at Alexandria was going; if Negan was going to take more stuff and how Rick was going to react when he found out that Carl had done something so stupid. Negan's given out so many warnings already though.. it made me fear for the other possible outcomes of this visit.

I couldn't stop running different scenarios through my head of all the things I could have done differently to prevent all the bad, that's gone on here, from happening. I felt like so much of it was my fault-- that so many lost lives were because of me.. and it made me want to break down. This world is already so evil and cruel with just the walkers and I always thought that would be the worst it would ever get, but as time goes on, I'm constantly reminded that this is just the beginning.. and there's always worse.

I let out a heavy sigh, defeated once again by my mind before the bedroom door violently swung open; Daryl standing on the other side.

"Liz, come on," he whispered, quickly waving me over to him, "We need to go, now."

"Go where?" I asked frantically, grabbing his hand.

"Home."

"Daryl we can't, we can't get there on foot-" I said breathlessly as we snuck down the hall.

"We ain't gonna be on foot." He said, holding up the familiar bike keys.

I was so overwhelmed at the situation, the thought of actually being back home in Alexandria, that I nearly started crying, but reality soon set in.

"No- he'll find us, he's gonna find us and kill-"

"Liz, listen to me." He stopped, grabbing my face in his hands, "Ya trust me, don't ya?"

I let out a shaky breath, nodding my head, "Forever; no matter what."

"Then lets go home, alright?" He weakly smiled.

"Okay." I let out softly, nodding again.

***

I followed closely behind Daryl as he pushed open a metal door that led outside; a door that had previously been propped open for some reason.

"Come on!" He whispered before darting over to a bike that I swore he missed more than he ever missed me.

Just then, a voice was heard in the distance, "The hell?"

My heart nearly stopped as soon as I saw Joey, his arms immediately raised in the air as Daryl slowly inched closer to him.

"Daryl?" I said quietly, unaware of his intentions.

"Whoa, whoa- it's cool, I swear," Joey pleaded, "Buddy, you can walk straight out that back gate there, and I won't say anything to anybody-- I'm supposed to be there now but, listen, I'm just trying to get by, just like you."

"Daryl!" I said louder, trying to get his attention.

"Please man-"

*crack*

I quickly covered my mouth at the sight, a now barely audible shriek ripping through my vocal cords as my legs threatened to give out from under me.
I felt completely powerless as I watched the man I loved, do something that I never thought I'd see him do. I knew Daryl killed people, we all did, but never did I think I'd watch him brutally maim an innocent man; let alone someone I was close with.

*crack*
*crack*

Through my teary eyes, I see a familiar figure come into view; Jesus, "Daryl.." he says breathlessly, shocked by what he's seeing.

*crack*
*crack*

"Daryl?" Jesus says again as Daryl's brutal attack finally came to an end; the bloody metal rod falling to the ground.

Daryl leaned down, taking the gun out from Joey's belt, "It ain't just about gettin' by here.. it's about gettin' it all."

Tears continued to stream down my face as I stayed staring at another body; a body of someone who shouldn't have had to die.

"Liz, come on." Daryl said breathlessly, grabbing my hand and pulling me onto the bike as he got on, "I got the key, let's go."

"Listen Daryl, "Jesus said, checking to make sure everything was clear, "You need to go to the Hilltop; Negan was there early so he won't be coming back anytime soon. I got a car hidden just a bit from here so I'll meet you both there, deal?"

Daryl nodded, walking the bike back, "Yeah, deal."

_____
Heavy chapter; been dreading on killing Joey off tbh he was a really fun character

We're getting very close to them end of this book, but the prequel will be coming out very soon, so get ready!
Be sure to be following me so you'll know when the prequel is out!