Part 41

I sat up quickly, turning on the nightstand light, revealing the man who had been on my mind all day. He looked like hell though; like he was just completely drained.

"Been busy with a lot of stuff?" I asked quietly as I watched him stare blankly at the ground, slightly swaying.

I then noticed the nearly empty bottle of liquor in his hand, instantly putting two and two together.

I got out of the bed and slowly walked closer to him, "Negan, are you drunk? Where have you been this whole time?"

His tired, intoxicated eyes found their way to mine, "I never wanted to hurt you."

"I know, it's ok-"

"No Elizabeth, it's not fucking ok," his mood instantly changing, "I took you so I'd know that nothing would ever happen to you; that no one would ever fucking put a hand on you!"

Just then, the liquor bottle from his hand flew through the air, colliding with the wall and shattering. He then began to pace the room, his frustration visible; reminding me of his reaction when I attacked him with the closet rod.
I couldn't stop myself from feeling bad for him, even knowing he didn't deserve my pity.

"Negan, please." I pleaded, stopping him in his tracks as I ran my hands over his chest.

"I did it, Elizabeth.. I hurt you." He murmured, his overly exhausted eyes gazing into mine.

"You didn't know, I know you didn't." I said softly, running my hand over the scruff on his face, "You wouldn't have done it if you knew you were hurting me, right?"

He sighed into my touch before responding, "Sometimes I just- fuck I just forget how small and delicate you actually are."

I just nodded before hugging him, not really feeling like there was anything left of this that needed to be discussed. Even if it was just the alcohol talking, I could tell that he was genuinely distraught over all of this. He was showing a side of himself that I never thought I'd see; a vulnerable side that many probably thought didn't exist.
He didn't deserve my kindness or my forgiveness, but I couldn't give up this opportunity to see a hidden side of him.

"Come lay down with me, please." I mumbled into his chest before looking up at him, his head tiredly nodding in response.

I took his hand, guiding him over to where the bed was as he sat down, beginning to slip his shoes off and undress.

I kissed him reassuringly before starting to unbuckle his belt, causing him to lean back, "Don't even think about it," I laughed, "You're not getting anything from me tonight."

He drunkenly chuckled, a genuine smile that I swore I've never actually seen appeared, causing my body to melt. There was no doubt about it, he was an extremely attractive man, but that could easily be overlooked when he's threatening people's lives.

He finished getting undressed, leaving himself in a t-shirt and boxers before laying back in the bed, pulling me close.
I slid beside him, throwing the covers over us and laying my head on his chest.

"Just tell me next time I hurt you, please." He muttered, breaking the peaceful silence, "I just get so caught up in all the shit I have to do, I don't even notice-"

"I will." I whispered, cutting him off, "I promise."

He let out a large sigh before kissing my forehead, his hand running along my back. I could have stayed in this spot forever if I'm honest.

"I've been putting you through a lot of shit ever since I've been here, and I'm sorry." I said, propping myself up, "All of this, it's so new and different.. and hard; I just wish it was all easier."

He sighed again kissing my forehead, "It will be one day."

_____
I know so many of you wanted it to be Jesus/Daryl but we aren't at the part of the story yet!
I really wanted Negan and Liz to have this little softer moment together, because they really haven't had one yet and for the direction I want this story to go in, they need to have some kind of bonding moment other than sex.