Five

Camila came around to find that she couldn't move.

It took her drowsy mind a few minuets to realise what was happening but once she did, she was immediately alert.

"Help," She shrieked, fighting against the restrains which pinned her to the table, "help me."

"Shut up," Lauren commanded but her voice was wavering.

"What are you doing to me?" Camila questioned, tears brimming her eyes.

"Shut up," Lauren shouted again, and as she came into Camila's view, she saw the knife.

"No, don't kill me, please don't kill me," She pleaded, frantically trying to kick her legs which were trapped by the restraints.

"I have to, it's the rule of the Society," Lauren told her and Camila let out a scream.

"Please don't kill me," Camila sobbed, clenching her eyes shut and Lauren hovered over her, the knife raised.

"I have to," Lauren yelled, her hand shaking.

"No, you don't. You don't, please, there's got to be another way," Camila insisted, trying to pull her arms free.

"There isn't Camila, do you think I want to kill you. I don't, okay," Lauren exclaimed, her own eyes filling with tears.

"Then don't, we'll find a way," Camila told her desperately but Lauren only shook her head.

"I shouldn't have helped you yesterday, I shouldn't have grown any kind of attachment to you and it would've been easy. I was so fucking stupid," Lauren cursed and Camila realised how long she must have been unconscious for.

"But you did Lauren, you sat with me and let me cry and you helped me. You must've wanted to, you can't want to kill me," Her extreme fear was replaced by confidence and she tried to convince the older girl.

"I don't want to, that's the problem, I can't bring myself to fucking kill you," Lauren hollered, kicking the table leg with frustration. "But I have to, I swore my life to the Society years ago. The Society is my life. I shouldn't have formed an attachment to you, it was my own stupid shitty decision. I fucked up so bad and I don't know what to do."

"Look at at me Lauren," Camila commanded but the older girl avoided her brown eyes, "Lauren, look at me."

Green eyes met caramel ones and Lauren's face softened.

"You can find a way," Camila told her firmly, tears still flowing down her cheeks.

"Promise me?" Lauren questioned and Camila could hear how fragile she sounded. "Promise me that we'll make something work."

"I promise, just please don't kill me," Camila begged and she could see Lauren wavering.

"It shouldn't be this hard," Lauren's voice cracked, "I'm such a fucking idiot."

The hand holding the knife raised into the air once again and Camila shrieked, clenching her eyes shut as she began to pull at the restraints harder.

She could hear the knife clash with something wooden but she couldn't feel any pain.

She opened one eye and whimpered as she saw the sharp object lodged in the table, barely an inch from her ribs.

Her breathing was uneven as Lauren untied the restraints and she sat up, pulling her knees to her chest so she could cover her face as she sobbed.

She was nearly killed.

And it terrified her.

She tried to stand up but her legs were like jelly and she stumbled forward. Lauren dashed forward before she could fall and caught her in her arms.