Fifty Six

The sound of rustling pulled Lauren out of her sleep.

She brushed it off at first, blaming it on the wind causing the trees to blow. However, the rustling sounded like it was getting closer and trees couldn't move so it definitely wasn't them.

"Camz. Wake up," She whispered, shaking her girlfriend awake. Any trace of tiredness in the older girl was gone.

"Nooo," Camila whined, trying to push Lauren's hand away.

"Wake up, Camila," Lauren hissed, pulling a t-shirt over her head and grabbing a pair of jeans.

"What're you doing?" Camila propped herself up on her elbow, her eyes barely open as she looked at the older girl.

"Listen," Lauren told her quietly, Camila's eyes widening when she heard the sound.

"What is it?" She asked in a whisper, sitting up fully.

"Don't know. Get dressed and we'll look," Lauren threw some clothes at Camila, which hit her in the chest as she didn't move to catch them in time.

The brunette did as asked, quickly getting dressed and crawling over to Lauren.

"I'm going to see what it is," The older girl announced, reaching out to unzip the tent but Camila grabbed onto her arm.

"Wait. I'm scared," She mumbled, ducking her head.

"You don't have to be scared," Lauren told her but Camila didn't look convinced. "Hey, Camz. It's probably just a stray dog or something. There's nothing to be scared of."

Camila nodded and Lauren kissed her cheek before unzipping the tent.

Camila stepped out into the cold air, her arms wrapped around stomach as she tried to warm herself. Her mind was bleary from tiredness and she was still slightly tipsy from the alcohol still in her system.

The sound of footsteps got closer and Camila gripped onto Lauren's arm, clinging on desperately.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" A loud voice called out, the beam of the flashlight lighting up the space. Camila ducked down, hiding her face. "This is private land!"

Lauren and Camila were frozen before Lauren stepped backwards, bumping into Camila and causing her to stumble slightly.

"Run," Lauren mumbled but Camila's limbs couldn't respond to the command. "Shit, Camila. Run!"

Both girls took off, Camila in front so Lauren could make sure the man never got her and found out who she was.

Camila couldn't form a single coherent thought as she ran through the trees. She could hear Lauren laughing at the situation but she couldn't fathom why because all she could think was shit. The branches scratched at her arms and her heart felt like it was about to burst right out of her chest. She didn't even know where she was running, she just made her way in any direction and Lauren followed her. She had never been more relieved when she arrived at the fence in her life.

Well, until she realized that she had to climb it.

"What are you doing, Camila. Climb," Lauren told her but Camila shook her head, struggling to get her breath back.

She was struggling to get her breath and her head was clouded and it felt like she was living in slow motion.

But Lauren already had her fingers wrapped around the chain link fence and Camila still hadn't moved an inch.

"Camila! Come on," Lauren shouted, now at the top of the fence.

Camila grabbed onto the fence, struggling to climb up it but managing to do so.