Forty Six

"I can't do this."

"Yes you can, you've got this," Lauren smiled briefly at her through the mirror, continuing to straighten the brunette hair.

Camila didn't say anything else because she didn't want to ruin Lauren's good mood.

She studied Lauren's face through the mirror, how her tongue was stuck out slightly in concentration through her perfectly applied coat of red lipstick. How her eyes looked even greener than usual with the thick coat of mascara and eyeliner. How her hair fell effortlessly in short waves, framing her face.

She was snapped out of her daze by the feeling of Lauren's lips pressed to her neck, at the top of her spine.

"You're all tense baby," She told her and Camila tried her best to give her a reassuring smile. "Your outfits is laid on the bed, you should get changed."

Camila nodded wordlessly, leaving the ensuite.

She didn't know why she didn't say something, tell Lauren how much she was dreading the party taking place later tonight.

She wanted to, she even turned back but Lauren was applying a fresh coat of lipstick, puckering her lips that spread into a wide smile and Camila decided that she looked happy.

Too happy to ruin it for her.

Her outfit was nice.

A white flowy romper that had a band of lace cut outs around her waist, exposing her tanned skin.

And her bruises.

She slipped into it nonetheless, her straight hair falling down her back like a waterfall.

She looked at the mirror hung on Lauren's wall, picking apart her reflection.

Her outfit looked pretty, too pretty for her to be wearing. It looked out of place on the girl staring back at her. The girl with the bruises and the sad eyes and the large cut on her forehead. The girl with the troubled past. The girl who couldn't keep herself out of danger. The girl who couldn't keep anyone she loved in her life.

She didn't know she was crying until she felt a tear hit her lip. She saw Lauren make her way into the room through the mirror and quickly wiped any following tears away.

"Camz?" She questioned and Camila turned around, only to sink to the floor, curling her knees into her chest. "Camz what's wrong?"

Lauren rushed towards her and Camila fixated her eyes on the black pair of heels she was wearing. Lauren crouched in front of her and Camila was surprised that she never fell because the heels really were quite tall.

"What's wrong?" She asked again. When Camila didn't answer she tilted her chin up to connect their eyes.

Another tear fell.

"I can't do it," Camila whispered, shaking her head.

"Okay, we aren't going, you can't take this," Lauren said, taking ahold of her arms.

"But it's yours and Dinah's birthday party joint with the Fourth of July, we can't not go," Camila sniffled.

"But you can't, Camz look at you. You're freaking out and you aren't even there yet," Lauren told her, looking her in the eyes.