Forty Nine

Lauren's phone was ringing.

At three o'clock in the morning.

She hated being a light sleeper.

The minute she answered the phone Normani's frantic voice rang out.

"They've got her!"

"What? Got who?" Lauren was too tired to be deciphering messages.

Normani couldn't answer because she burst out into heart wrenching sobs. Sobs where you could physically hear how much pain she was in.

"Normani what's wrong? Can you calm down for a second and talk to me and I'll come and help you," Lauren instructed in a calm tone, sitting up.

"They've got Dinah," Normani managed to choke out during the times she had to stop crying to take in a strangled gasp for air.

"Is anyone at your house Mani, are you alone?" Lauren was out of bed, struggling to pull on a hoodie with one arm. When Normani didn't answer to continued; "listen, Mani. I'm coming, I'm coming to you, you just need to answer my questions. Are you listening?"

"Yes," Normani's voice broke halfway through but it was good enough for Lauren.

"Okay, thank you. Are you alone?" She repeated her question from earlier.

"Yes because Dinah's gone," Normani broke down into sobs again and Lauren felt a tug on her heart.

"I'm coming, Mani, babe I'm coming to you. We'll figure stuff out when I get there," Lauren took a deep breath before hanging up on her friend and turning to the sleeping girl in her bed.

She didn't want to bring her, people would be coming and going at it would risk her being found. But if she left her there was a huge risk that whoever took Dinah would take her too and that wasn't a risk Lauren was willing to take.

"Camila, wake up," She shook her girlfriend away violently before reaching to pull a sweatshirt from the closet. "Camila, this is important."

Camila groaned and Lauren walked back over to her, pulling her out of bed and setting her on her feet, pulling the sweatshirt over her head.

"Someone's took Dinah."

Camila's face paled at the news and she drew a sharp breath.

She didn't have chance to answer because she was being dragged to Lauren's car.

The drive was quiet.

Lauren was driving as fast as she possibly could and Camila couldn't form a coherent thought.

Dinah had been taken. Dinah, her best friend.

Camila had no idea how the fuck Lauren was holding it together because she felt like someone had physically tore a piece of her heart straight out of her chest.

"Are you gonna be okay in there because you're gonna have to be strong, it's about Mani, not us," Lauren told her and Camila nodded.

She didn't know how convincing her act would be because she felt the furthest thing from strong.

Dinah had been taken.

How could she possibly be strong when her rock was gone? How could she be strong for Normani when she wasn't strong enough for herself?