Thirty Six

Lauren was right about Camila's happiness fading.

But the brunette was trying and the fact that she was strong enough to pull herself out of bed every day made her heart swell.

And every morning Lauren would pull her dejected girlfriend into a hug and kiss her temple and tell her she was proud of her and suddenly Camila's day didn't seem to be destined for badness any more.

But after another week had passed Lauren got an email demanding she come to the base. She didn't know why she was surprised, to be honest she thought it would have came sooner, but it didn't stop the pit of dress growing in her stomach at the thought.

"Camz I need to talk to you," Lauren announced as she walked into the living room.

The pair of them had just ate and Lauren had just stacked the dishwasher before returning to deliver the news.

"You're talking already," Camila pointed out, diverting her eyes from the TV to meet Lauren's.

"I need to go to the base tomorrow," Lauren mumbled, her tone defeated.

"B-but that means you have to leave me," Camila stammered and Lauren nodded sadly.

"I haven't been doing as much work as I should be," She muttered, partly embarrassed. 

"How much is 'as much'?" Camila asked warily and Lauren bit her lip sheepishly.

"Like, a one in five completion rate," She admitted.

"You're going to have to be there for ages to complete it all," Camila exclaimed, "I don't want you to go," she added quieter.

"I don't want to go either but I have to," Lauren  sighed, running a hand through her hair exasperatedly. 

"But what about me," Camila cried, "I don't want to be alone."

Lauren saw how her lip began quivering and pulled her into her arms, holding her tightly.

"Camz..." She started to elaborate but was cut off.

"I don't want to be alone, please. It's too scary, stay with me," Camila pleaded, clinging to her desperately.

"I have to go, I don't have a choice," Lauren whispered, tracing her fingers up and down the length of Camila's tanned arm.

"How long will you be going for?" The younger girl asked.

"Every day," Lauren squeezed her eyes shut as she answered and she felt Camila slump against her.

"No," Camila said almost inaudibly, "that's too long Lauren, no. You can't go. That's too long, I'll be scared, " she shook her head, pulling back to meet Lauren's eye.

She was near tears.

"Don't cry Camila, please don't cry," Lauren begged, taking her face in her hands.

"I don't want you to go," She wailed, "Well i don't not want you to go, I just don't want you to go without me."

"I don't want to go without you either," Lauren frowned and Camila's face lip up.

"Take me with you then," She exclaimed, "I-I will wear glasses so no one will recognize me."

"Baby even if you weren't being searched for world-wide it's still dangerous and I don't want you near anywhere dangerous," Lauren told her with a sigh.

"But you will protect me," Camila said earnestly.

"After everything thats happened to you I don't think I'm the best at protecting you," Lauren shook her head softly, tucking a strand of brunette hair and tucking it behind her ear.