Chapter 28

I took a deep breath and waited a few moments before opening the door and peering out. The room was empty as I slipped out and went to my closet door. My vest was stretched over my bump and I went inside to get something to change into.

I picked a loosed fitting marroon dress and pulled it on. I grabbed my black cloak as well and tied it at my neck. I covered my shoulders and my stomach was hidden as I walked out of the room still barefoot.

I crept down the corridor and heard shouts and crashes from behind one of the doors. I flinched as something heavy hit the door.

I picked up my pace as I retraced my steps to the dungeons. I came to the corridor and heard voices. Guards. I picked up a silver candleabra and held it tightly behind my back as I approached the dungeon door.

"Your majesty" the guard said shocked. He stood up straight and held his hands behind his back. "What can I help you with?"

"I need to get into the dungeon" I said gesturing with my free hand towards the door. As I did I noticed my wrist was back to normal.

"King Jasper requested that no one enters the dungeons" The guard said.

I frowned "My husband was wrong. Let me in" I hissed.

"I'm sorry my queen. But I can't" the guard shook his head and smiled. "Anyway what would you want with the prisoners?"

"None of your buisness" I smiled at him. "You should have listened" he frowned at me but in a flash I swung the candleabra and cracked him across the head with it. He dropped to the ground with a thud and I stepped over him. I pushed on the door and it creaked open.

The room was silent. Strangely quiet. I squinted my eyes as the adjusted to the dark and dropped the candleabra. It clattered to the ground and I stepped into the dungeon.

Someone shouted and jumped at me. I screamed and brought my hand up in front of me. "Ow!" The person shouted and I dropped my hand to see Ethan standing rubbing his shoulder.

"Ethan!" I stomped my foot.

"Told you it was a terrible idea" Jake said stepping out of the shadows. "Wait you're not Jasper?"

"No" I clutched my chest as my heart pounded. "No I'm not"

"Willow?" Caelan said. I looked around and saw him sitting on the floor. He peered up at me and I smiled as I saw him. He jumped up and ran towards me but I stepped back and held my hands out infront of me. He stopped.

"Careful" I said as I stepped towards him at a more reasonable pace. "We have to get out of here. Now" I said and took his hand. "All of us"

****

A few minutes later we were outside the castle. We started off running but I became tired really quickly so we walked to the stables. Everyone took a horse out and climbed on. I jumped on behind Caelan who seemed wary. He saw me frowning. "Pirates and horses don't mix well" he said before gripping the reins and taking off after Ethan and Jake into the forest.

I kept my head down as branches whipped at our heads. We were only going for a few minutes before shouts were heard and hooves were following us. "We need to go faster!" Jake shouted.

I glanced around as the horse sped up and I gripped onto Caelan tightly. I sae a flash of red and frowned. I shook my head and it disapeared. But. There it was again. "Guys" I shouted nervously "There's someone else out here" I felt something whizz past my head.

"An archer. Not one of the kingdom's" Jake called out. Another arrow flew past followed by another. "Let me rephrase. Archers"

"They're after me" I said.

"Why would they be after you. Why now?" Caelan asked.

"Because that vial that Jasper gave me. It sped up my pregnancy. The baby will be here in a few days" I bit my lip as I stared at him. He looked around quickly.

"Jake. Take us somewhere we can hide. We can't keep running we're in the open" he called out.

I felt a shooting pain go up my side and I screamed. My arms let go of Caelan and I fell back. I hit the ground and my back arched as it joined the pain in my side. I gasped in pain and looked down to see an arrow piercing my side. I gripped it and saw a blue liquid running down from the tip.

And whatever it was. I could feel it rushing through my blood. A horse stopped beside me and Caelan ran to my side as three more horse came to a stop surrounding me. Jake ran over and looked at me nervously. He looked back down at the arrow and frowned. "Oh god" he said quietly. "This is going to hurt" he grabbed the arrow and pulled it out. I screamed again and gripped Caelan's hand like my life depended on it.

Jake stared at the blue liquid and closed his eyes. When he opened them again his eyes travelled to my stomach where the cloak had fallen away. "It's a mixture of potions. Healing and a poison" As he said this the skin where the arrow had entered began to tighten. "The poison won't affect you directly. But..." he trailed off. "I'm sorry. There's nothing to stop it"

"Stop what?" I asked. "Stop wha- Ahhh!" I screamed as pain erupted in my stomach. I curled up and gripped Caelan's hand again. Digging my nails in.

"What's happening!" Jordan cried out.

"They poisoned it. They poisoned the baby" Jake said sadly.

I felt my eyes well up and I clutched my stomach. The pain subsided and I cried. I looked down and saw my bump was gone. Replaced by my flat stomach. I couldn't describe the emotions I was feeling. Caelan grabbed me and pulled me into his chest. I buried my face in his neck and he rubbed my back soothingly. Nobody said anything.

"We need to go" Jake said sadly. Caelan nodded and scooped me up. He placed me on the horse before jumping up himself. Horses hooves got closer but I didn't care. Ethan, Tristan and Jordan rode off. Jake stood still as the horses approached. His brother leading them.

Jasper stopped the horses and jumped down. He saw me and frowned "What happened?" His eyes found the arrow on the ground and his face dropped. "No" he said. "No" he shook his head.

"I'm sorry Jasper. I really am" Jake said. "But now. Please let us go"

Jasper looked utterly heartbroken. He looked how I felt. He nodded slowly. "I'll change my mind. I warn you now" he said before climbing on his horse once more and riding off.