Chapter 6: Thoughts

After probably an hour of trying to get Poppy to go back to sleep, Branch had finally succeeded. You know she's tired when she gets really cranky.

"I am not cranky! You're the cranky one! You put the book on your head not read it. You're not taking this very seriously." He kinda just ignored her nasty attitude and gave an emotionless response.

     "You're right Pops. I guess you're just typically that cranky."

     She scoffed at him, leaning back a bit.

     "I am not! I'll go take a nap right now and prove to you that I'm not the crabby one in this relationship! You got that title nailed Branch." She stomped off upstairs into their room and plopped onto the bed, almost instantly falling asleep. Branch smirked.

     "Mission successful."

     The teal troll continued to read the book he was suppose to have on his head and when he eventually finished it, he went to make dinner, the pink troll still asleep. Their food was almost done when he felt arms wrap around his waist with a soft hum.

     "Well look who's up. How you feeling sleeping beauty?" He said softly as he looked at her messy hair and smile painted on her lips.

     "Good. Jeez I feel like I've been sleeping all day. It feels so nice." Sensing she had no idea what happened before she went to sleep, he kept his bragging thoughts to himself.

     Poppy smelt the sweetness in the food. It smelt like heaven. She always knew Branch was a good cook. Much better than she ever was. She tried making dinner on one of their dates and almost set the stove on fire. Lessened learned, Branch does all the cooking.

     "It's just pizza. Not really sure what's so interesting about that."

     "I wish I could cook like you. I'd just burn the house down."

     Branch brought her into a tight embrace as she laughed. Gently lifting her up into the air, she laughed harder and louder. King Peppy walked into the scene and smiled. But his smile faded away when his thoughts wandered to his wife, Poppy's mother. They were just like them. Happy, laughing, no one could ever separate the two. But then his thoughts went towards the incident. An incident he never wanted to think about. But it didn't stop his mind from making him.

     Poppy's laugher softened as it shortly stopped when the two realized the dazed look in her father. Branch placed her on the ground and she walked over to her dad.

     "Dad? Are you okay?" No response.

     "King Peppy?" Poppy waved her hand in front of him and he suddenly snapped back into reality.

     "Sorry, I was just thinking."

     "Are you sure?" The teal troll asked.

     Peppy nodded and smiled.

     "I'm sure." His daughter looked at him concerned. As much as she believed him, it wasn't usual for him to be that lost in thought. He looked into her magenta eyes and took her hand.

     "But I do have to talk with you.."

     Poppy raised an eyebrow and looked over at Branch. He shrugged his shoulders and walked towards them, only to make a sharp stop at his father-in-law's serious tone.

     "Alone."