Chapter 38: A late night with the pod

Yikes, I am so sorry for not updating in forever!! Life has just gotten so crazy lately and I really don't know what else to say but I'm sorry. But I'm back and ready to get this show on the road!!

     The royal couple had been on their toes for the past few weeks with royal duties, friends, Poppy's father, and their growing family. The pink troll had gained more control with her emotions and sickness from her connection with the now small pod, allowing her to not overreact in certain cases, and vomit every 5 minutes.

     Branch however, was becoming more and more stressed and overprotective of his family. Every time Poppy would have a little morning sickness, he'd instantly suggest she'd stay in bed a little longer. He'd stay out later every night to make sure the pod was okay. Sometimes he'd camp out with the pod.

     After a few months of letting this go by, Poppy had realized that enough was enough. She wanted her husband right there. Right now.

     It was about two in the morning when Poppy qrumpily stomped away into the forest with a lantern in her hand, making her way towards the large tree. Branch's lantern was still lit and could be seen from all the way at the bottom.

     She was one hair whip away from going off on her husband. She was so ready to let out her frustrations in the loudest way possible. But, before she whipped her hair, the pink troll heard the familiar voice of the teal troll's, talking to their unborn baby.

     "Hey.. I know I'm probably bothering you with how much I've been talking to you lately.. But.. I just want you to know that your mother.. well.. she's one of the greatest trolls you'll ever know.."

     Poppy's eyes widened as she softly made her way to the top of the tree, but didn't go too far out for her husband to see her.

     "Her smile will always make your day better.. And when need someone to comfort you, she will always be there.."

     Branch paused as he wiped a few tears that were coming from his eyes.

     "I know I'm not gonna be able to bring you as much happiness as she will.. But I will always protect you both with everything I have.."

     The teal troll placed a kiss onto the pod as a few tears fell onto it. As he sniffled, Poppy finally spoke up.

     "Branch..?"

     Practically giving him a heart attack, her jumped right back, away from the pod.

     "Poppy?? What are you doing up this late?? It's dangerous out here!" He yelled whispered. As much as Poppy wanted to be angry at her husband for being out so late, she couldn't feel the anger anymore. She stood in silence as Branch's eyes softened.

     "Poppy..?"

     "I.. Couldn't sleep.. Can I spend the night here with you..?"

     The teal troll couldn't help but be frozen. Not that it was for a bad reason, it was just, concerning it took her a minute to answer.

     "O-Of course..!" He said as he took her hand. The two laid next to their child as she snuggled into him, taking in his scent of pine. His hand brushed against her back much like if you were petting a kitten. To tell you the truth, that was where you got her to melt. She absolutely loved it when you did that to her. Looking up at him, she softly spoke.

     "Branch... Are you ready to be a dad..?"

     Branch looked downward and his wife, his eyebrows raised as he began to answer her question.

     "Physically, I think so. Mentally..."

     "..I know you're scared.." she began.

     "I know you're afraid of what could happen, but I know what you're most afraid of.."

     "...What's that...?"

     "You're afraid the baby won't like you."

     A light hue brushed against his face. The worst part about it, she wasn't wrong. He was absolutely terrified that his own child wouldn't like him. Despite his colors being back, who would like a grumpy, worried, overprotective guy like him..? Sure Poppy found a way, but a baby..? Forget it. Poppy's hand tightly gripped onto his.

     "But Branch... I know from the bottom of my heart, that this baby will love you unconditionally. Just like I do. You are gonna be the best dad in the world. You'll probably win dad of the year.."

     A gentle smile was painted on Branch's face.

     "Thanks Pops.." He said softly and placed a kiss on her head. With a hum, she snuggled closer into her husband and drifted off to dreamland.

     It was about four in the morning when Poppy jolted upward, gripping her stomach as she felt it flutter like a million butterflies were inside her. The fire was out and Branch quickly rose next to her, trying to figure out the problem.

     "Poppy?? Poppy, what's the matter??"

     It was the moment when the small pod began to gently shake. The pink troll looked into the teal one's blue eyes and spoke in a frightened tone.

     "It's time.."