Chapter 7: A talk with Dad

Sorry for the short chapter! Happy Holidays!

    Poppy looked at her dad, then at her husband. She gave him a soft smile, a quick hug, then went off into another room with her father.

     It was really weird that he made it very clear that he wanted to be alone with her. Branch isn't everywhere with her all the time. Was he? No, no he wasn't. The two took a seat on her father's bed, Peppy taking her hands and looking down at them.

     "Dad? Is everything okay? You don't usually make it such a big deal to be alone with me. Not that I'm complaining, I love spending time with you, you just never really make it specific for Branch not to follow along." Her nerves were clearly showing, anyone could notice them. The longer King Peppy didn't talk, the more Poppy did.

     "I mean, Branch and I aren't together all the time. We do things separately with other trolls. Like, um.. When I went to that one thing! Yeah."

     Her father shushed her by lifting his finger and she was quiet in a snap. The way he was acting was really weird. Not his usual weird. Like, weird weird. The orangish troll's eyes were closed and slowly opened them when he decided when he wanted to speak.

     "Poppy, you're aware of how much your mother loved you.."

     The pink troll didn't really remember much about her mother. She couldn't even remember what she looked like. All she could really recall was a specific lullaby that she would always sing to her before she went to sleep every night as a baby.

     "... Very much..."

     "Your mother was there for anyone whenever they needed her. She was generous, kind, and she loved to be around the trollings.." The paused.

     "You remind me so much of her.."

     The pink troll could feel the tears fall down her cheek and land on her light blue dress.

     "When we had you, it made your mother very happy. More happy than she ever was. But the night that she.. She wanted you to know that she will always love you, and hope that you'd gain the happiness she had when you came into our world."

     The King's daughter looked up at him, kinda confused in the point of the conversation. Was he feeling down lately thinking about mom? Did he just need someone to talk to?

     "As you know, Branch will be crowned king very soon. I'm not getting any younger as the years go by, and the royal line does need to continue. I know your mother is looking down on you, but I'd like to see it for my own eyes.."

     Poppy's mouth froze agape as she found the point she was looking for earlier.

     "After Branch becomes king, I think it's time for you two to continue our line. It's time for you two to have little trollings of your own."